PSU any good ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by 1337s, Mar 10, 2008.

1. 1337s

1337s New Member

Hello guys.

Is this any good ?

[​IMG]

I read somewhere that there should be 30A minimum on 12v ?
    Should there be 30A on each rail or at least 30A total ?

Thank you.

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

specs mean nothing, we need to know the model as many times the stated ratings are never met.

EDIT: seeing that picture again, i see that is most likely the CM Real Power Pro 700w. good PSU.

3. 1337s

1337s New Member

Yea its CM M700 modular PSU but i think it was you who wrote what i have read about 30A on 12v rail.

I would be most grateful if you explained to me the whole story about 12v or point me at some tutorial or something somewhere where i can learn about it.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

Multi rails is one of the most useless things I have seen..... But it should work for your setup. Most cards don't take the power of a single rail.

To figure out stuff for a GPU on a multirail system, you need to figure out which rails go where and the power of the GPU itself. No system to it.

5. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

At 3DGameman.com you can find good information about power supplies. He explains very good in he's video reviews exactly how it works with rails and other stuff.

Look here.

6. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

While it was really painful watching a couple of videos through my non-broadband connection, I did. And I found nothing nearly qualifying as 'good information'. Because:

a) I found no real information on the testing procedure. Then again, I don't believe that simply connecting a PSU to a system and take a reading of the voltage lines qualifies as testing procedure to begin with. Being able to change the load you place on the unit at will requires specialized equipment and not everybody can do that which is understandable, but if you don't even know exactly how much load you place on each line any 'testing' is already meaningless.

(Tip : The systems which they are using for load testing will not consume more than 350-400W under maximum load. Less than 1/3 the power output of the PSU reviews I read)

b) I found no information about the design of any of the PSUs, not any information about the parts used in them or even a simple picture of their internals.

c) "Listening" to the noise of a PSU over a video review is also meaningless. Unless of course the noise of the PSU I am going to buy relies on the volume of my speakers. Not to mention that almost no PSU will generate any noise under no load.

d) I didn't find ONE thing that is not "100% kickass"! So why bother? Just get any of them! :rofl:

There are many good PSU reviews and reviewers around. But these do not get anywhere close to good reviews. They are more like a presentation of what's in the box, nothing more than that.

Just for the record, multi-rail units are not anything special since all of the rails are being fed by the same transformer anyway. They just don't have to use very expensive power electronics which are needed in order to withstand the current of a single 50A+ 12V line by breaking up the primary output to several smaller lines. But that doesn't mean that they don't work quite as well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  7. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Okay!

Maybe this will help you out?

8. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

Oh, I don't need any help, I'm an expert on the power electronics field. I do not have to buy a 5000$ PSU tester, I made my own. But perhaps you should stop your site pimping? Some of the other mods are not nearly as pleasant as I am.

If you feel that you need any help yourself, you can always read our own reviews.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?category=18

Teme and craig5320 like this.
  9. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

k1979, I think you need to start reading proper indepth analysis of Power supplies, such as the ones on Driver Heaven. Grace does some of the finest power supply reviews on the net and a lot of the public come here to read them (I know most of the people I know do). She has the proper testing equipment and knows them inside out. that gameman link is a joke and the other one you posted afterwards is no better.

A tip? bookmark the DH reviews page and educate yourself. There are some of the finest (and proper) reviews on the net here.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

pwnt....

11. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

I don't think 3DGameman is a joke, but I will check out the review page to see what I can find.

I think, however, that your negative critism against 3DGameman is correct. I think that he's testing methods isn't aimed at the professionals, more against home users who don't have an PHD in computer electronics or similiar. :)

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Actually while I appreciate that you like 3dgameman, it is basically just that, a game site. Their hardware reviews are very basic and are from what ive seen geared towards kids or people with very little knowledge or interest in hardware. Not dismissing the site, however its like gamespot and their hardware "reviews" they are more just little presentations with next to little information or technical analysis.

I do not agree with you however, re: your comments about our PSU reviews needing a PHD in computer electronics. They are clearly showing how the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails handle under specific loads which is exactly what an educated or even semi educated hardware enthusiast needs to know before buying one. It is all very well saying something is "100% kick ass", but unless an end user wants to buy one merely to match the colour of their eyes its hardly relevant, especially without technical data to verify the comments. Most of the video commentary is regurgitated diatribe from power supply manuals.

The reason you have been so negatively received on this forum is more just that you are attempting to refer our public to sites with lesser technical expertise on the subjects we already deal with on an indepth level.

@thread starter, please be more specific as to what exactly you need the power supply to handle and we can take it from there. Grace has also kindly linked you to our PSU review index which should be an appropriate place to start reading about specific supplies that might already interest you.

13. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Indeed Z. I would call the article on 3dgameman an "overview" as opposed to an in depth review.

Grace knows her stuff, and does a danged fine job. I trust her and jonnyGURU more than anyone else on the web.