PSU issue..

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MIG-31, Nov 21, 2020.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Hello Guys i just need to check out a PSU Issue.

My PC has been running on a Corsair TX850W PSU for the last few months, And this is a very Old PSU...This were part of a PC that were given to me from Stu & Craig Quite sometime ago..

Over the last two weeks i have been finding my PC shutting down within 20 - 30 seconds of the first boot up...

Hit The power Switch then it is fine, The second Day it were a repeat, The Third day were a repeated the same procedure.

This Morning i hit the power switch then it shut down within 5 - 10 seconds or so this time around.. Hit The Power Button again Nothing Happened. Tried this three times and noting.

Switched the PSU off and disconnected the power line, Re-Inserted switched on... And it had powered up...

I am 95% convinced it is the PSU named above is failing, So i have switched back to the Corsair 550W PSU (Can't Name it without removing it) but it is much Newer and seems to be running ok for the last 6 Hours... It is a 80+ PSU...

I am running:
    Asus PRIME B450-PLUS Motherboard.
    Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHZ overclocked too 4GHZ By Default.
    32 GB (4 x 8Gb) 300MHZ Vengance RGB
    Corsair Force MP600 500GB M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD/Solid State.
    1 WD Blue 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 4 TB
    1 4TB Seagate HDD
    4 Case Fans.
    RGB Lighting strips.
    A Gigabyte GeForce 2070 super 8 GB (Windforce Edition)

I have tried a couple of PSU Calculators that has recommended a 450 80+ corsair, But im not totally convinced... That would be enough.

I just want to Know if the Corsair 550W is enough or just to a little safer to up the wattage a little..

EDIT: Added the CPU.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you ever have to turn the main psu switch off and back on... it almost ALWAYS means that a circuit has been tripped due to a short or overdraw that couldn't be saved.

My Corsair HX1000 started doing this... though i pulled it on the 3rd strike... though this didn't happen shortly after starting the machine.. it was random and didn't seem to matter or relate to load level. What i discovered was the 4+4 12v power cable connected to the mainboard had burnt, melted a bit and even petrified the connector clips sufficiently enough that they shattered when i pulled the plug off (the hold clips shattered... i think i wacked the connectors themselves on a table top they would too). Suffice it to say, i swapped from the 1000 watt psu to the rm550x i had on hand for emergency backup testing applications, i slid that into the system and it's been rock solid again which would indicate that the psu itself was at fault which is strange. The mainboard connector for the 4+4 was clearly burnt but i cleaned the contacts and clipped the newer psu into place and all is well, from what i can see it looks like the point of problem occured on the psu cable on the hx1000.

Anyways back to your situation, it's fairly classic situation of a psu failure occuring usually IF you've made sure every connector is plugged in and double checked all the extra plugs to ensure they are say resting against some metal or a pin or something that would cause an potential strange short. I've had some systems that came in in which similar symtoms occured and found that a psu connector was barely touching the inside part of the case causing a gradual load not enough to shut the psu down and it looked like it had been running that way for several years before finally triggering an overload/short. In some cases that has resulted in killing the PSU, in others simply moving the connector away has restored full stability.

If the 550watt you're running is stable... the fan doesn't appear to be whirling up to insane speeds under load, you're likely just fine. 550watt quality power supply is certainly the bare minimum i'd recommend for your system. The ideal range is between 50-65% load under peak utilization for arguably the best efficiency without cranking up fan speeds too high within the psu.

If you knew the exact model it'd help of course.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I concur with @Judas, that 550W PSU, as long as it is quality should be fine for your system.

Btw, you didn't mention the processor you're running.

Edit: It's fine, I visited your profile page and found full specs.

4. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I checked the other PSU connections, there are no signs of any burn out on any pins..

I know the one i am running of is a Corsair 550W and it is a 80+ rated PSU, If i were to name it exactly i would have to dismantle the PSU from the case as it sits inside a unremovable cover at the bottom of the case which also contains 2 HDD's so nothing is visible. It originally came with the PC i bought, And the store i bought it from lists all the specs apart from the PSU itself.

I have been gaming for a good few hours yesterday and again a little this morning. I have not seen any issue with performance or the Fan speeding up at all....

So i might give it a few days before i decide to up the wattage a little..

Thanks.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Np.