PSU Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by giganick, Mar 30, 2008.

1. giganick

giganick Frikkin COmputer~!

Recently with an update for Itunes, when I go to eject my ipod Itunes crashes, and I cant do anything with it, I have to just turn my computer off and unplug my ipod. I have wondered for a while if my power supply has not been working right though. I have 4 hard drives, an athlon XP 2400 processor, a swapable tray for an extra hard drive, 1 DVD burner, and 1 cd burner, and a GeForce 5600 graphics card. Would a faulty power supply cause my machine to run slower, just not so good in general? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Faulty PSU would usually cause freezes and crashes with data loss. So I recommend you to defrag your hdd's.

btw. what psu you got and how old it is?

3. tcman

tcman New Member

Your pc crashed after a new Itunes update, then maybe the update is the cause of crashes. Try to uninstall the Itunes software and reinstall the software, see if it still crashes.

In case of a bad psu (a good psu would just shut itself down, but most generic ones won't), try to back up your most important data on a external harddrive or DVD-recordables etc.

Good luck!

4. giganick

giganick Frikkin COmputer~!

My PSU is a 400 watt psu, and it is about 4 years old now, I have tried to uninstall the software and reinstall it, and it doesnt run any better. Im thinking about just buying a new 500 watt power suply unit....also all my stuff has been backed up...maybe it is just time to build a new computer or get a mac...

5. drwho

drwho Active Member

Both a new PSU and a new upgrade are not bad ideas, giganick.