quad monitor setp (2x onboard 2x videocard?)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by g35x, Sep 19, 2008.

1. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

Well a motherboard recently died on me, so I will be getting the GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2 as a replacement. it has nvidia 7100 onboard, 1x VGA 1x DVI and I have read reviews that say you can do dual monitors with the onboard. I will be using my Radeon x1950GT in the system, but I was thinking, would it be possible to run 4 monitors, two from my x1950, two from the onboard 7100? I have at least four 17" CRTs laying around my room at my dad's house not hooked up to anything, so this would really be great. Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

thanks in advance for any help:D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

no.... more than likely....

if you try to do that, there will be driver conflicts and BIOS conflicts its just not worth it....

just get a motherboard with 2 PCI-E slots and a cheapo vid card

3. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

Ahh, well I was just wondering if that mobo could do it since I'm already getting it.

I'm getting a microatx mobo because the case of the computer I'm putting it in is an ultra microfly, not really a lot of space, and I'm not so interested that I'd spend extra $ for an SLI / Crossfire mobo, just wanted to know if it was possible because I've never heard of anyone trying before. I'll problably try it just for the hell of it, just wanted to know what everyone thought.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it could work, providing the motherboard allows you to:
    a: use both outputs at once
    b: use both onboard video and add-in graphics cards at once

please post your exeprience, I'd like to see how possible it is

5. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

I have read reviews that say you can do dual monitors with just the onboard, so yes it does let you use both outputs at once, as for using a videocard along with it, thats what I'm not sure of.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

more recent motherboards allow you to use both the onboard video as well as an addin card at the same time via options in the bios. Some won't however as they both would share the same resources..

generally the more expensive motherboard that have onboard video solutions work all the time.

However i've had nothing but a complete pain when trying to run mixed brands such as ATI + Nvidia at the same time....a nightmare...

g35x likes this.
  7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That's also what I'd suggest. You could try the motherboard you're planning to get with a PCI video card.

8. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

I have been wondering if it was possible at all since I could not find any info at all, nice to know it is possible on some boards! I will consider buying an Nvidia card if it doesn't work well with the x1950gt.The newer budget Nvidia cards are looking pretty good and are problably better than my x1950gt (btw this is my secondary computer we're talking about, ultra microfly case, and I basically use it as a LAN computer / HTPC / computer I bring to my dad's house when I stay with him, so buying a CF / SLI board and using that is out of the question as the case is very cramped, so again, I will not go SLI / CF or just run two videocards.) if what I'm proposing works, it works. if not, oh well, I don't really need it. I just want to make use of the onboard video if possible.
    if I really wanted quad monitors that bad I would have done that a while ago.
    its not really not a need for me, but if I can make use of the onboard video that I will have anyway, I'm damn sure gona use it :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  9. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Would anyone ever need quad monitors? :D

10. Judas

there is practical uses for those running octomonitors....

11. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

honestly, I really don't.
    but let me tell you, if I have 4 monitors laying around, and its possible to use the onboard video along with a videocard, I'm definitely going to use all four of them:D

the onboard is there, so if I can make sure of it, I will :D

I really can't wait until more games start utilizing dual monitors. every videocard nowadays has support for at least two. anyone ever played supreme commander? (its an RTS) you can use a second monitor to watch your base(or wherever you want) while you manage a front line battle on your main screen :D

12. Judas

that's one reason i would love more developers to take advantage of multi monitors..

with the cost of monitors now... and specially the desk space available for lcds..... it's not hard for anyone to have more then 1 monitor.... it's becoming quite common