Question about Cable modems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Widkidone, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

What cable modem is best for gaming? Please help me.

2. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Well some ISP's require specific brands of Cable modems (Road Runner Requires the Motorola Surfboard, a Toshiba model and the 3COM Shark fin) so check with your ISP before buying any modem. Second of all most cable modems are the same (internally) so you are really not going to see a perfomance gain between brands.

3. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

I've been working for the cable company in out area (bright house) for about 6 months now... I've seen Toshiba, Taryon, Motorola, and 3com, as well as the linksys gateway/w wireless router... I haven't seen any modem have a distinct advantage over another,... the surfboard does have the advantage of a pause button, but the speed and throughput doesnt appear to be any different... I'm actually looking at the Toshiba 2600 right now as it is supposed to sypport docsis 2.0 (right now they are using 1.1) and I just want to have the proper modem for when the time comes tho the cable company will be backward compatible with 1.1 from what I'm told until they can get all of the firmware updated on the current modems. This is what I've learned thus far so hope it helps...

4. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Use an Ethernet connection in preference to USB - and use a real PCI or onboard Ethernet, not a USB pod.

Take care not to set the ethernet to full duplex, unless the modem supports it - forcing full duplex when unsupported will result in packet loss.

5. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

Thanks guys!!! I'm actually looking at the Toshiba 2600 right now as well. Well my ISP supports Toshiba and Motorola.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I fully agree with this.

7. krazy1

I am trying to dig it up but can't find it at the moment.... their was a site that did a test with cable modems connectiong them with USB and with NIC to see which was better. NIC was better but I can't remember what the % better it was.. it was like 10% or 15% better.
    The best way to trully go is get a Server NIC where it has it's own processor. Those are nice but they get pretty expensive. Granted a NIC does not use a lot of your CPU cycles but it does use some. I have a Server NIC in my download mach. only because it was given to me and it is pretty nice... but if I would have bought the thing myself it would have cost $200. :eek:

8. jkayca2

jkayca2 New Member

Forgive my ignorance but what's a server NIC? Is this like a router?

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Get a Motorola SB5100, get a good Linksys ethernet card (20 to 30 dollars should be fine) or some other name brand ethernet, don't get some generic nic. - Do not use USB, for any reason -it sux.

I have had a Motorola 4200, A terayon, and a Motorola SB5100- The Motorola 5100 is by far the best, but honestly they are all rated for so much faster than you will ever use it for, as long as it works, they are all about the same. Your configuration in windows and your ISP (the node and server you are on and how close you are to it physically) is more important that the brand of modem for a good low latency connection, and that's what you want for gaming.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/ <--- allot of jerks over here, but some are cool and will help you.

http://www.speedguide.net/

http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/ http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php
    http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/files/cablenut408.exe <-- this did wonders for my connection

If you get that ^^, do not forget this: http://dslnuts.com/files/CABLENUT_UPDATE.exe

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Network interface card (or ethernet card)

11. krazy1

Linksys makes a good NIC but I have found the Intel Pro/100 S to be even better and more reliable. We went to Intel cards here at work 1 year ago and problems with NIC's have droped by 50% over the 3com and Linksys we used to use here.

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, I'll have to remember that.
    My Linksys is sitting on a shelf, I like my onboard LAN on my NF7 the best- I can change my IP at will, something that is very convenient... Something I can't do with my Linksys that easy, but I think it's possible through 3rd party programs, but it's a pain..

The realtech onboard LAN lets me change the MAC of the ethernet very easily... It's great.

13. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

i love my surfboard... and i think most people i know love em too

14. jkayca2

jkayca2 New Member

Re-reading the post again I now understand. I guess since the NIC has its own processor you really don't need much of a driver on the PC side.

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well most don't have their own processor onboard, only the real expensive ones, but my onboard NIC has a setting called "optimized for" 1)throughput or 2)CPU, so you can tune it for speed or to save CPU cycles. I put it on throughput so it uses as many CPU cycles as it wants, but my network speed is as fast as possible.

16. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Using a secondhand Intel chipset (82558) card here, actually a compaq NC3120, with the latest Intel drivers.

These cards are super-smooth! - the driver also loads some software into the card, I believe.

Realtek seem to work pretty well too - well liked by most modern machines, but an older motherboard had trouble with the Realtek but worked fine with the Intel.

Broadband isn't greatly demanding for a 10/100 network card.