Question about Dell HDD Partition

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IamLakota, Jan 9, 2008.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Thought I'd ask this question here hope some one can answer it.
    My best friend has an old P4 Dell that he refuses to give up and here's the problem,he caught a trojan/virus,and had to do a repair,which didnt go well
    so he bought a new hard drive did a reinstall of XP and after got it up and running he re-hooked up his old HD to try and pull a few files off of it.XP see's
    the HD but won't assaign a drive letter to it and under disk management it says it has 2 partitions on it the first is 16mb FAT the rest is NTFS and is marked as healthy. Any idea how to acess this drive with out loosing the info on it?? And how the hell do you get rid of the FAT partition.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

you get rid of it in the disk management. and there you should assign the drive letter for the NTFS partition.

3. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I appreciate the reply temeteus82,the thing is I can right or left click on the FAT partition which is (looking at the monitor, to the left of the NTFS partition} and nothing happens it doesnt give or show me any option to get rid of it.If I click on the NTFS side it ask me to delete the NTFS partition but that is where the data is he wants to retrieve.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

is the disc dynamic or basic disk?

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Is that old HDD accessible at all to the point that you can run a full CHKDSK on it? If so, do so. Be sure to check both options. It might take a few to several hours to complete but let it run the full gamut. At this point, don't bother with the FAT partition and just worry about getting the drive restored where the data can be retrieved. Then, once he's got his important data recovered and backed up, just format the drive and be sure to delete both partitions before doing so.

Good luck!