Question about settings in bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drivehard454, Mar 6, 2010.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I was looking through my Bios and ran accross two things which are disabled or off. Wondering if they should be set to enabled or on. I tried looking it up online, and get info about them, but not definitive about turnig on or leaving off.

1st one is:

DRAM CAS select. Mine is disabled. Info online makes it sound like I would benifit to have it active? Maybe?

2nd one is:

ACPI 2.0 support. Mine is off. Again, sounded benificial to have on, but not absolutely positive.

Any thoughts, or better yet, knowledge about the settings?

MOBO is an ASUS P4R800-VM

Thanks

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

DRAM CAS select is related to adjusting the RAM CAS latency. At disabled, the CAS latency is determined automatically, which is just fine as standard values are stored on the chips themselves and the system applies those. If you wish to overclock and tweak the system, you may set it to enabled and then set the values yourself (but it may result in system instability and even it's refusing to boot, in which case you'd need to clear the CMOS).

ACPI is a power management standard, enabling it would allow the operating system to put your PC to sleep when inactive.

drivehard454 likes this.
  3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK...thanks. I knew it would be easier to just ask someone here. Sometimes looking this stuff up online gives out more info than what is really needed to actually answer my questions, lol. I will leave them be then.

My next quest is to figure out why I have missing drivers for SM Bus Controller and SCSI and Raid Controllers in device manager. Am trying to find answers at this time online too. Maybe I can get another straight forward solution from you guys?.......

Thanks again.

4. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

See if you can get the chipset drivers from Asus' website, that is if you didn't get a CD with your mobo.

5. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I can get the chipset drivers. There are actually a lot of updates since the original driver version which I have installed. However it didn't show that any of the updates were of any thing that I needed. I put a link to the bios update. If someone wouldnt mind reviewing it and recommend if I should run the updates. There are 8 of them for bios and 17 for other components on MOBO.

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=f4FVizCvRvxOegac

The motherboard is an easy flash, so it should be fairly easy to do right?. I have heard it can be tricky to flash bios so that is why I never chose to do it....lol.

Also, If I do run the update, I should only have to do the latest correct?....The previos updates should all be included in that one...

Will this take care of the SM Bus Controller and SCSI and Raid Controllers drivers? While looking online I pretty much determined that I don't actually need these to work anyhow. AM I right in concluding that?

Thanks guys.

6. IvanV

I think that you're right, if the system is behaving correctly, no need to fix anything. Still, there should be no harm in installing the latest chipset drivers, which are listed under "Others", just to get rid of the annoying question marks. As for the BIOS, if you're not experiencing any problems, I'd leave it as it is. :)

7. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

IvanV, The "others" seems to be the ATI chipset drivers?. I have an Nvidia AGP graphics card installed. I have the integrated ATI Graphics disabled and deleted the driver for it. If I download the "others" ATI chipset update, will this re-install the ATI driver and cause interference with my Nvidia? Or am I off track here? Will this take care of the question marks and then I can just delete the ATI driver if it does install it?

Thanks

8. IvanV

It says "Chipset Drivers" so it should be perfectly safe. Also, for as long as I remember, ATi's video driver installations have reported an error and aborted if no supported graphics card were found and that's what should happen should the package contain the graphics driver among other things.

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK IvanV, thanks. I installed it now, and it did get rid of the question mark for the SM Bus Controller, so that is cool. The SCSI and Raid Controllers is still marked with an exclamation point. Also when I restart computer now, I get a "new hardware detected" for Raid and asks if I want to look for the driver. I do a search and it finds nothing and says cannot be installed. Is there a way to disable this so it doesn't keep popping up everytime I restart, or another option to install the driver. From looking this up online, sounds like I don't even need it?

Thanks again

10. IvanV

Well that's weird, ASUS's site has no RAID drivers for your motherboard and the manual doesn't mention it anywhere. It seems like a glitch of some sort that a RAID controller is being detected. :confused:

When the Found New Hardware wizard appears, isn't there an option "don't show me this dialog for this device again" (or something like that), or was that added in later versions of Windows? If there is no such option, you may disable the device in Device Manager. You may want to make a restore point before, just so you could select the "use last known good configuration" in case something goes bad (although I don't see how things could go bad after disabling a device that has no drivers installed for it, but, since that device shouldn't even exist, it wouldn't be the first weird thing happening).

11. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

That's what I was thinking about doing, just disabling it. Shouldn't cause a problem. I didn't look for a "don't show this again when I started the computer. It was getting time to head out to work so I just left it. Thanks for your help IvanV.

Trying to tune this old rig, can't afford, and wife doesn't agree...lol, to get a new computer.(works fine for her on her internet searches and facebook), But I like to play the addicting Online Combat Arms game and something is preventing the performance to put out the way it should for the game. I sest up a buddies older computer with half my hardware specs and it plays just fine. Thinking about making another thread on the topic and pick some brains...lol.

Thanks again

12. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Sigh.....now I have a new problem. I just logged on to the combat arms game and found a new problem. My graphics while in game play are all screwed up. I have holes in the maps and protrusions of random graphics, along with parts being off color. I restarted game, restarted computer, checked my video card fan(card is brand new), changed the in game settings and no change. In the lobbies and such it is fine, and I played an online video and it is fine. Is this anything to do with the update I just did, maybe?

Re-install video driver?.....Have to get to bed now, will check back tonight.

Thanks for any suggestions/solutions.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  13. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Re installing video driver did no good. A complete Bios update now? A friend of mine had a similiar problem with a game that had a hole in the map. After trying multiple different thing, he updated his bios and it fixed it. Is this maybe the same issue? I didn't have this until this SM Bus Controller fix.

Thanks.

14. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I am going to try the bios update. If someone could please check out the updates(the link for my MOBO is in my first post), I have a question. There are 8 updates for bios. Some have same version numbers and some diferent. Do I have to do the newst of each version, or can I just go to the very latest version and it will have all the previous versions included in that one? I know usually you can go to the latest, but I would like to know if it is that way for sure with my application.

Thanks

15. IvanV

Get the latest one. Apart from that, a DirectX and driver reinstall might be good things to try (although I see that you already tried the drivers), or you could try system restore to the point before the mobo drivers update.

16. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK, I found too that I would only need the latest, but thanks for your verification. I didnt think of trying directx re-install. I may try that first.

I downloaded my MOBO manual, and got confused on the bios updating anyway. I have a few options for updating being:

1. AFUDOS Updating in DOS mode using a floppy

2. ASUS EZ Flash- Updating bios during post using floppy

3. ASUS Update - Update using the BIOS in Windows environment

Does #3 mean that I can just download from the ASUS site and install without using floppies. Its not real clear on that. I get good instructions for the AFUDOS and EZ FLASH, but no instructions on #3.

I also have Crash Free Bios 2. I need to make a back -up for the bios also because I do not have my MOBO disc anymore.

I will try the directx re-install when I get home later.

Thanks IvanV

17. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Tried the directx re-install and the driver again. Still have holes and protrutions in my game. I am going to try to undo the install for the SM Bus controller driver as this is when it started the problem, not sure how it's related. If that doesn't help, I may remove the new geforce 7300 gt card I just installed and try my older geforce 5600. Maybe the card is defective?

18. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Installed my old MSI Geforce 5600GT 256MB card and the driver and everything is fixed. My new card must have taken a dump. Only had it for a week....wth. Weird that it did this at the same time as that driver install. That is why it confused me and I thought something else caused it. Hopefully Tiger Direct takes it back. I am not sure I liked it anyway. It was a BFG geforce 7300 GT 512MB and I didn't notice an ounce of performance or graphics change from this 5600 card. Any one know why that would be?

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

It's quite possible that you're CPU-limited if the Celeron listed in your specs is what you're currently using.

20. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I would believe that better, if I hadn't just revived a friends computer, an HP Pavilion 760N which is just as old as mine. It has a 1.8 Ghz pentium 4 CPU. I put in 2 gb ram and an Nvidia geforce 6200 256MB card and it plays the game just fine with no problems, wouldn't even load the game before that.

Gak, I hate having to work with this old stuff. I just can't understand what the problem is here with this system. I am way above minimum requirements. Computer handles everything else perfectly. Minus any newer games, but I am not interested in them, just the Combat Arms....lol. Plus, cant convice the wife to spend any money on replacing a "perfectly good" computer for playing a game....sigh. It does the searching and plays music just fine!

Thanks Dire