QUESTION: Raven Shield with ATI cards

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 11, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I would like to hear from all you ATI owners who have played Raven Shield... I havent got a copy just yet, but im hearing mixed reports regarding this game and performance issues on radeon cards. some people are saying issues with night vision on ......

if anyone can give me feedback it would be appreciated. id like to get information from you all to give to ATI if necessary, please post system specs etc.

2. MSX

MSX Burning the frozen...

Well, for me there are no graphical errors. Everything works spiffy when I'm actually in the game... However, the netcode for their net interface is very buggy. Like the join server screen. It crashes if I leave it open too long so I have to go and pick a server as fast as possible. That's about it. Everything else is all good.

3. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

Yes it very buggy we had major problems me and few friends at a LAN with it. Crash really bad it helps if you want one every on to join before the server hits play.

4. farmeunit

farmeunit New Member

Multiplayer

The new patch has a .bat file that will fix the crashing on the internet server screen. You can also use a switch added to the command line. I think it's -norunaway but don't quote me on that as it's on my other computer. Other that that the game runs great for me. The netcode isn't the greatest but graphically works fine on my 8500 and 9500 Pro with the Cat 3.2 and newest Omegas.

5. MSX

is it par chance -rvsnoloop.bat? Do I just add that to my command line?

6. farmeunit

farmeunit New Member

just double click

Just double click on the bat file and it will run the game for you. There is a switch that you can add but it's in the README file I think. But just run the .bat file and you're set.

7. MSX

But then I'd have to set up a new icon... darn it. hehe

Oh and triple buffering doesent work on 9700 cards. I have no idea what it is but it would run on the 8500 for unreal...

8. projectHUMAN

projectHUMAN Subsonic Stigmata

Runs pretty well for me on my 8500 128MB. To combat the crashing when servers are being refreshed a temp fix is to uncheck some gameplay modes your not going to play. Its caused by too many servers refreshing. Also turn on some technical filters.

9. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

The only problem I run into is freeze ups with the vertical lines. Sometimes it happens so much I just lose interest in it for a while. BTW I'm using a Radeon 8500 64MB version with the latest drivers.

10. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

they say its optimized for ATI cards, but over at rage3d.com i've been reading that the game runs better on nvidia based cards. I'm sure its somethign that can be fixed with a patch. But yes, the game hasn't been running that well at all on 9500's mostly. Which is one reason i've held off on buying that game.

11. projectHUMAN

projectHUMAN Subsonic Stigmata

It hasn't been "optimized" for ATI cards. When they say that they mean they added TRUFORM support.

12. lgestle

lgestle New Member

I haven't seen to many issues but I also run a pretty high performance rig with a 9700pro. I believe I wasn't running any AA or AF due to I forgot to set the setting when I built the machine and immediatly jumped in and started playing with my friends. It ran pretty smooth to me and I didn't see any slowdowns, but I can't compare it to another card. All in all I thought it ran great.
    I too remember hearing that a recent patch resolved night vision performance.
    -lgestle

13. tenndevil

tenndevil Banned

The recent patch did not solve the night vision problems, it is still so grainy it is hard to make things out and it just plain brings the machine to it's knees, if you turn your settings up all the way you will be lucky to get 40fps and thats just walking around and without AA or AF, turn those loose and forget it, your looking at 10-15 fps, I don't believe it is ATI's problem I think UBI messed up what could have been a good game visually but just plain dropped the ball, I don't know where they get off saying it's optomized for ATI because it definately is not, not in any way. If I were ATI I would have them remove that statement, because as stated in an earlier thread NVIDIA cards have better luck, jump over to their (Raven Shield) forums and take a look... You will find the most troublsome card to be the 9700 Pro, which I have..