Question Regardnig Stock Heatsink for FX-57

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by JInglee, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JInglee

JInglee New Member

HI

Just received a "new" processor from an EBay seller with a good reputation. The box appeared to have been sealed but upon opening the box there seemd to be two things that were out of place.

But upon receipt and opening the box-I notice that the heatsink bracket arms do not have the "three holed prongs" that attach/clip into the mother board (ASUS A8V Deluxe 939).
    Does the stock heatsink come this way?

How do I attach it to the mother board without them (the three holed attachemts connected to the bracket arm)?

Also, when removing the CPU from the packaging I looked at it under the light and the surface looked like it had a heatsink already atop it. There seems to be a uniform rim around the edge of the CPU that appears to be different color from the rest of the surface. And the top appears to have been cleaned or something....

Should a new CPU that has not been installed be perfectly clean and silver around the edges-from edge to edge?

When I look at the top of this CPU, the edges appear to have been worn and the top is not uniformly "clean" or silver from edge to edge. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

a user’s manual or CPU installation instructions should come with the boxed retail CPU's,
    check the stock heatsink and fan, include all of its parts if something looks unusual or looks different from the CPU installation instructions you should reject the whole product package (even you may not use the stock heatsink). talk to retailer for RMA the product.

3. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

there should be a green paper/foam/cardboard thing that houses the cpu and hsf. There should be a small piece of plactic that is sticky on each end that keeps the hsf where it belongs. When you take a look at the hsf there should be a square patch of thermal material. if there is not thermal material then it has been removed. There should also be a plastic bag with a manual and a case badge.

hope this helps. if you post pics we may be able to help some more.

4. Sgt Soso

Sgt Soso New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Guess it is OK, the packaging was all in tact but the top of the CPU just looked really strage.
    Looking at it under light, a clear, uniform rim goes around the edge and the center appears to have been cleaned, like a heat sink has been atop.

But unless the guy has figured out way to repackage and box with original seals, I guess it is
    new."

Just obsessing....who me? Obsess about computer BS?
    I think I need a walk or something.

5. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

well that is entirely possible. AMD does test their processors before they leave the factory. I would assume that the FX processors would be heavily tested as they are the fastest cpus and would need to be tested to make sure they were completely stable at 2.8Ghz w/ only 1.4v

My opty looked like it had had a hsf previously mounted on it too... Well, it looked less 'new' than my 3200+venice... but I've heard other people comment about this when they got their optys too. AMD tests optys more rigoursly than they do the regular A64's