Quick HOWTO install newest ATI drivers (9.12)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by gabrielh, Dec 27, 2009.

1. gabrielh

gabrielh New Member

Hello,

I've experimented the issue that many here also experimented : the new Catalyst drivers won't install because ATI changed the packaging of the drivers, and Mobility Modder has not been updated.

So I've tried what I did before Mobility Modder existed : modifying the .inf files of the driver. Unfortunately, this does not work anymore unless you install the driver using the device manager. Impossible to install Catalyst Control Center.

The reason is that not only you must modify the .inf files, but also plenty of .msi files.

In order to follow this little HOWTO you should know well about the structure of inf files. It's not difficult to figure it out anyway.

So here is what I did (manipulation for Windows 7 x64):

1 - Get the beta ATI drivers from AMD website : ATI Catalyst? Mobility Display Driver

2 - Run the installer, but don't install the driver. Files should be extracted to something like : C:\ATI\Support\9-9_beta_win7_64_dd_CC

3 - The inf files contained in C:\ATI\Support\9-9_beta_win7_64_dd_CC\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF will be your models.

4 - Download the stable drivers, desktop version, complete package, from Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM and extract them the same way. It should be something like in C:\ATI\Support\9-12_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.

5 - Using the beta drivers inf as model, add the missing entries in the desktop drivers inf. Double check that you forgot nothing.

I personally added the following entry in the "[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1]" section :
    Code:
    "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (Gab mod)" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9591
    And all what is relative to this entry of course (refer to the beta drivers !)

If you don't know what is your card device ID, just go to the command prompt and type :
    Code:
    wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET PNPDeviceID
    I personally get the following output :
    Code:
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9591&SUBSYS_95911002&REV_00\4&272D8707&0&0008
    You can safely ignore all what is after the DEV section, for example I only kept "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9591". You can dump the SUBSYS section if you want, I even recommend it. But you can keep it if you like challenge or if you like to waste your time.

6 - Remember the values for your card : VEN (in my case, 1002 = ATI) and DEV (9591=Mobility Radeon HD 3650). Also the SUBSYS value if you decided to keep it. You will probably have a different DEV value than mine.

When you added all the missing entries for your card in the desktop drivers inf files, your work is still unfinished. You have to patch all the .MSI files !

7 - Locate an entry in the inf files that you will substitute in the .MSI files. This entry MUST have the same length as your card entry concerning the device ID : for example if your card is "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9591", you can choose "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9598" which is corresponding to the ATI Radeon HD3600 series in the .inf. If you choose to keep the SUBSYS field, then find one entry with a SUBSYS, for example "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9589&SUBSYS_30001787" which is also a Radeon HD 3600 Series. Be sure to choose a card whose DEV field is represented only one time in the .inf.

8 - Using your favorite hexadecimal editor, open the .msi files. You will have to do the manipulation for every .msi files of the driver, including the .msi of Catalyst Control Center, some don't have to be modified but most have to be.

9 - Search for the string of the DEV field inside the MSI file. Example : "0x9598" in my case. Replace it carefully with the value of the DEV field of YOUR card. Example : "0x9591" in my case. Be careful, sometimes the fields are not contiguous at all in the .MSI ! If you kept the SUBSYS field, search for the 4 first caracters and the 4 last characters of the SUBSYS value (for example "0x3000" and "0x1787") and replace them with the values of the SUBSYS of your card.

10 - Repeat the last step with all the .MSI files...

11 - If you did everything well, you should now be able to install the drivers !

How do you know when it worked ? Well when you are asked for which component to install in custom mode, "Catalyst Control Center" and "Ati display driver" are available ;)

Regards,

Gabriel H.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. gabrielh

gabrielh New Member

As I have some free time today, I decided to complete this "howto" with an entire inf file.

Please note that I stripped everything concerning other cards than mine. Take this as an example, as it will only work for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. Your card will need other values if it is not a 3650. I insist that you should not copy-paste if your card is not a 3650. You will find the values for your card in the 9.9 beta drivers available on the AMD website. Also note that this is the .inf of the 9.9 beta drivers, you will need to adapt it if you want to use the 9.12 catalyst drivers, some work need to be done as section names can change and some files differ (especially, mobility drivers need some more files, compare carefully between beta mobility and official desktop drivers).

Download the demo inf : http://rapidshare.com/files/326684352/pilote.inf

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

thanks for the effort, im sure someone will benefit from this

4. ilordvader

ilordvader New Member

I have AW m17 Laptop with 2x3870 cards

When I install after Mod the 9.12
    all goes fine & comp restarts

But when i chk the version of the Driver
    it says 8.63 :(

How can that happen when I have uninstalled the old Drivers

Please Please Help

5. gabrielh

gabrielh New Member

This is normal I think. Drivers have a different notation for their version than the Catalyst package. For example CCC show me the following informations with Catalyst 9.7 installed :

Code:
    Version du package du pilote	8.69-091201a-092546E-Fujitsu Technology Solutions	
    Version de Catalyst™	09.7	
    Fournisseur	ATI Technologies Inc.	
    Version du pilote*2D	8.01.01.994	
    Chemin du fichier du pilote*2D	/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000	
    Version Direct3D	8.14.10.0723	
    Version de OpenGL	6.14.10.9252	
    Version de Catalyst™ Control Center	2009.1201.2206.39624	

6. ilordvader

ilordvader New Member

Thanks for replying
    God Bless

7. Mitchellboy

Mitchellboy New Member

I cant find my card on the list. I am using ATI Firepro M7740 and I tried the same method as you provided, the Windows shows "The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  8. Power-Inside

Power-Inside New Member

My DEV value I got is DEV_7210 for my ATi Mobility Radeon HD 2300... So I have Catalyst 10.1 extracted... I just need to get the inf file and change all the values to DEV_7210 right? I mean just that right? No need to edit MSI files if all I want is to install the Display driver from Driver Management on my windows 7?

9. Crazzak

Crazzak New Member

AW: Re: Quick HOWTO install newest ATI drivers (9.12)

No, you can´t thats not working.
    I´m trying it too and it´s not working wait for the Update from the Modder

10. gabrielh

gabrielh New Member

You have to edit at least the .MSI files located in the same directory than the .inf files, if you do not want to install the Catalyst Control Center package.

It's not difficult : using your favorite hex editor, just replace an existing entry in the .MSI files with the vendor and device ID of your card (be careful when doing this, any error and your card will not be recognized during driver installation), and you are done.

DJ BIG T likes this.
  11. Doc_okidoki

Doc_okidoki New Member

Hi there,

i have also a 3650 card in my laptop
    and my driver stops working now and then
    howe can i use this inf ?
    the 9.9 beta driver i already download from the amd site

thank for the help !

12. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 New Member

ok this works (maybe..not tested) with version 9.12. Will it work if i try the same steps in version 10.1???

I have a laptop that has HD4200 integrated graphic chip and it has installed ATI 8.632 graphic drivers. I want to update plz

13. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 New Member

why did you upload the edited file from the 9.9 drivers? I cant understand it at all! The point is to use 9.9 inf file and edit the 9.12 ones. So your tutorial just is confusing .. thanks for nothing!

14. kretoszczurmks

kretoszczurmks New Member

15. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

gabe thats cool of you to take the time out to help new people out +rep for you..

16. hardwarer

hardwarer New Member

It has worked for me.. Thank you vary much Gaby..u were a life saver.
    I have a sony vaio. Thus I couldn't install Mobility drivers directly from ati.
    I tried the modder but the driver didn't install.. I spent hours in search of a solution until I found this.
    The real trouble was that i ddnt know to edit hex files. This link will provide info for novices:Hex Editing For Beginners

I hope it helps someone.
    Too bad Sony don't support ati in this issue.

17. Ozzwald

Ozzwald New Member

AW: Quick HOWTO install newest ATI drivers (9.12)

Can someone help me, i dont understand the part with the hex...

i dont find something... every code in the MSI ist ending with 0

i look for 0x954A

But i just find somethin like 0x9540

No other ending, just the "0"...

How to edit it?

Please help me :-/

18. gabrielh

gabrielh New Member

Re: AW: Quick HOWTO install newest ATI drivers (9.12)

Hi Ozzwald,

It's a little late for replying, but you should give a try to the newest ATI Mobility drivers, as I do not require to modify anything now. My card is finally recognized as such by the latest drivers. Yipee !