R12 Memory Wipe

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MaximumPower, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Alienware

Poll closed Jan 15, 2022.
  1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MaximumPower

MaximumPower Advanced User

Hey YO! Everybody!! Hey.

I have to express my concern for my current system The Nvidia R 12 by Alienware.

It is due to the upgrade to windows 11 error.

I recently bought the system. It asks to install windows 11. Okay. So I reset my computer after it tells me to. Then the power plug gets pulled out. upon restart. I lose access. to the entire system and get a boot error stating that, my hard drive ( SSD MV) is not bootable. Upon some previous research I got into the boot menu. I found an option in the maintenance section of BIOS that there is a system santization option. So after the debacle of trying to install windows 11 I decided to completely wipe all traces of my previous installation ( which was no longer acceptable). It worked as I am typing this from the current system ( On Windows 10 mind you). NOw.

My question is this. Was there another way I could have recovered my data other that contacting dell to unlock the system from sending them my PC overseas. Or to find out I needed to replace it. I can't help but wonder was I too hasty to just follow protocol. Or could I have done, better/?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

reversion to a prior OS install is often rather easy, and if you lose bootability of the current OS.. recovery options allow you to revert as well.. so i'd say yes, you were hasty.

However the real question is why you had a problem in the first place, which is likely due to the bullshit dell tends to throw at users by modifying windows and installing it's own substandard applications and overwriting the default windows ones.

MANY oem systems have to have a bios update PRIOR to install windows 11 due to the tpm 2.0 requirements among others. This is specially true when oems have enabled a partial function of it, thus allowing you to update to windows 11, but failing to boot much like your situation.

Performance a clean install of windows 11 would be ideal though.

Calliers likes this.
  3. MaximumPower

MaximumPower Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. I did not get all that. But I will surely take all precautions when erasing my data.