Radeon 8500 Problems

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by seth_br, May 23, 2002.

1. seth_br

seth_br New Member

Well I previously tried to install the Omega v31 drivers b/c my PC was freezing in JK II and 3dmark. But I screwed something up and had to reformat my drive. So after I did that and loaded up windows I tried to install the Omegas again and they worked. But I still get the same weird freezing.

Anyne know something that could be causing this?

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

is this only happening with this particular set?

3. seth_br

seth_br New Member

I have come to think that it is not the drivers. It happened with the original drivers, the latest from ATI, and now the Omegas. Could it be something other than the card? Everything is set @ stock, no o/c.

4. Dejitaru Shuurajo

Dejitaru Shuurajo Mystical Strippers Thong

You might be suffering from the same problem that I was having. It may be an IRQ conflict between your Radeon, Sound/Network card that is causing this to happen. You can reassign the IRQs but first you have to make sure that PnP O/S is turned off in your bios and move all your PCI cards as far from the Radeon as possible. I was getting dips as low as 8 fps in Halflife before, now I get a steady 100/99 fps. Hope this helps you out, cause ATI surely will NOT.

5. seth_br

seth_br New Member

I just installed the 7200 and it worked fine in 3dmark2001 se....no freezes. It got a score of 3686 hah So it does have something to do with the card. Could the card just not be compatible with my system? Or is it defective?
    I may try to test the 8500 out on my dad's computer tonight.

I have the onboard sound card and the only PCI device I have is my modem

6. seth_br

seth_br New Member

That Matrox Parhelia card looks awesome! I may just get that when it comes out and just use the 7200 for awhile.

Does anyone know when they are coming out?

7. Funkybuffalo

Funkybuffalo New Member

Have you installed the latest Jedi Knight II patch. It is v1.03 I believe. JKII had a problem with freezing. I froze between map changes often in multiplayer before the patch came out. Haven't frozen once since the patch.

8. seth_br

seth_br New Member

Yes I have the latest patch. And the problem is not only with JK II. I cannot run 3dmark in high res at all. It seems to work fine with Counterstrike though.

9. Dejitaru Shuurajo

Dejitaru Shuurajo Mystical Strippers Thong

Re:

R.T.F.M. seth_br, Omega drivers ARE NOT for benchmarking with 3DMark, they are for optimized gaming. Use the ATI reference drivers to run system benchmarks with.