Radeon 9700 Redhat9

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by PoopyTheJ, Apr 12, 2003.

1. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Well installed Redhat 9 on my system 3 days ago, still no xserver. I've got a bugzilla report up 88587, on bugzilla.redhat.com. When redhat tries to boot, first time booting right straight out of the install, I get a Xserver could not start, veiwing the Xserver output I get
    (WW) RADEON: No matching device section for this instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1) f
    (EE) RADEON: No valid mode found for this DFP/LCD
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration
    anyone else having any problems? I have not gotten this to run and the ATI drivers are not gonna work on Rh9 as it uses Xfree 4.3.0 and there's no 4.3.0 version of em. Anyone have any ideas?

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Are you running on a laptop by any chance? If so, try this patch to get XFree 4.3.0 to work on the Radeon IGP chips :)

3. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

nope, but thanks! first reply. hmmm stumper I guess. :confused:

4. UberLord

I think you've gotta wait until ATI release an driver that works with RH9 stuff. Until then, boot into text mode by default and use the VESA X server - slow but it works

5. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

well apparently ATI just released drivers for XFree 4.3.0! Yeah so now I have RH9 drivers for my 9700Pro just need drivers for my Nforce2 mobo so I can get AGPGart and actually use em! Hope Nvidia gets off their asses and releases some drivers for their AGP, this is annoying.

6. UberLord

There's a switch either for XFree or the kernel that allows unsupported AGP to try and work. Hunt around on google for it - it may help in the mean time

7. nmaia

nmaia New Member

Just checked ATI website and can't find any Xfree 4.3.0 drivers for Radeon 9700/9700pro.

Latest in their site are:

ATI Linux Driver Version 2.5.1 for Xfree 4.2.0 and 4.1.0
    Posted: November 29, 2002

Can you tell where to get those new ones for 4.3.0?

Thx in advance.

btw i do own a NForce2 too, guess we will have to wait...

8. EvilTypeGuy

EvilTypeGuy New Member

www.schneider-digital.de/ has them in their ATi downloads section. Seem to work ok with the Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb under RedHat 9.

9. manhattandoctor

manhattandoctor New Member

I have a Radeon 9800 that I'm using with RH9. In my list of display choices there is a choice for ATI Radeon 9700 and 9700 Pro as well as simply Radeon. Are you using on of the 9700 entries?

This new support for 9700's is included in Xfree86 4.3.* (see the Xfree86 web site for notes about it's inclusion.) If this doesn't work for you use the VESA driver as I am . ATI has stated that a X4.3 driver for all of their products (2D and 3D support) is coming in June.

10. UberLord

Cool. Current IGP340M support by XFree86 4.3 is sluggish :)

11. JustaGuy

JustaGuy New Member

I have a Radeon 9000 non-Pro on a Linux system with XFree 4.3.0 and I use the drivers in that site. Work fine, 3D acceleration, Xv acceleration... Definetely recommended (I think they are ATI betas).

12. manhattandoctor

manhattandoctor New Member

I downloaded the driver from http://www.schneider-digital.de/ and try to rpm -i or rpm -U in RH9. I get the following message:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-2.9.12 conflicts with file from package XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2

Do I need to remove the XFree86-Mesa-libGL package?

13. JustaGuy

JustaGuy New Member

I guess you can only have one then... My distro (Gentoo) sets them side by side and has a command to switch between them, so I don't really know...

But if I were you, I'd remove them to try it out. You can always reinstall them anyway if anything goes wrong...

14. UberLord

Yes you do

Mesa is a pure software OpenGL layer whereas the ATI driver provides a hardware accelerated OpenGL layer.

15. phlegyas

phlegyas New Member

how do these beta linux drivers compare to some of the latest windows drivers? this may seem like a stupid question, but please forgive me. im new to the linux gaming world. have ran linux off and on over the years, but didnt ever really do much with it. now im trying to make it my sole OS, so naturally i want my games to run just as smooth on it.

16. phlegyas

phlegyas New Member

heh i removed the mesa dependencies and installed those drivers and now my X wont start. i hate being such a n00b.

17. UberLord

Whats the error message?

18. phlegyas

phlegyas New Member

it couldnt load some module that i assume came with the updated drivers (cant remember the name of it). its probably the result of my ignorance during the installation. i think i might have the log saved, but im not sure. anyways ive gone back to the default drivers for now, until i can figure out what i did wrong. as soon as i get my box back up, ill look for the errors and post them here. shouldnt take too long. redhat autoupdate updated my kernel but for some reason wasnt using it so i attempted to edit the grub conf myself and ended up screwing up. i know how to fix it.. its just a matter of accessing the grub conf again.
    thanks for your help

update: i could swear i cut and pasted the error into a text editor and saved it, but i dont guess i did. im sure its in some log somewhere but im too n00b with linux to know where. oh well, i put in my Ti 4200 since it appears that the nvidia community has stronger support for linux. i installed the drivers from nvidias site but its not using them. i think i have to edit the xfree86 config or something. ill do some reading on it. ;)

problems like the ones described above are the whole reason im running linux as my only OS. ive been a PC tech for a few years now and know windows pretty well. its to the point now that im not learning anything new with windows. i just play my games and chat all day. if something breaks, the majority of the time i know exactly how to fix it. ive ran various flavors of *nix over the years, but never really did much with them. so now its my main (only) OS and im actually learning things! woohoo!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  19. drake_ambrose

drake_ambrose New Member

The reason you cant startx is that you probably have a secondary display attached to your video card... just unplug it, or configure it in your XF86Config-4 file. if you install the driver from ati then you can run there fglrxconfig program to do it for you.