Radeon 9800 pro problems?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Robot, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Robot

Robot New Member

I need some help... -_-'

I just got a new card for free, a 9800 pro, and I can't get it to work for games. I installed the latest Omega drivers and It works pretty well for Windows, but when I try to run games (Oblivion, Half-life 2, Other Steam games, Prey) all the graphics and everything is screwed up. They play ok, but just dont look good... So, is there anything else I can try or a fix or anything?

PS: I have already tried the official ATI drivers, they didnt work for some reason. Didn't work with Direct3D...

2. Jalle64

Jalle64 New Member

It sounds like your card is defect in some way, most probably the cards memory, but it could be the gpu as well. The temps in your comp is also important, and another thing, what card did you have before?
    It could also be a driver problem if you didn´t clean the old driver out?;)

3. Robot

Robot New Member

Well I put in a whole new computer. But the card I had before(And what is in it right now) was a Radeon 9250 128Mb. It could be defect, just got back from a trip(thats where I got it) and its second hand. But it does work well, and fast, during windows but not games... is that odd? Or normal?

4. Jalle64

Jalle64 New Member

Did you in your new system, install the motherboard driver/s, and if you run winxp do you have sp2?

The service pack could solve a lot of your probs i believe?!:)

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

ya, the mobo's agp/chipset drivers can cause directx not to 'work'

what about power supply? & heat

6. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

can you take a screenshot while in a game to show us exactly what the problem is? from what you are describing, it sounds like it's artifacts. i would just like a screenshot to verify what it is that it is or isn't.

if it is artifacts, then the card is basically useless other than in 2d mode from what you are saying.

prior to getting this gfx card, did you see the card in action? if you did, did it do the things it's doing to you now?

7. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

It sounds more to me like a bad uninstall of your old drivers. I would d/l drivercleaner if you haven't already and use the cabcleaner that comes with the program, then procede to clean the rest of the driver/software with drivercleaner once cabcleaner is finished. Then if you're familiar with regedit, then I would take a look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and make sure all ATi and folders pertaining too ATi are deleted. I have a guide to help you with the uninstalling of your vga drivers and software if you are interested on one of the links under my sig.

Good Luck ;)