Radeon Omega 3.8.273 Install Problems

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by BelGarion, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BelGarion

BelGarion New Member

Hi! I was running Raedon Omega 3.8.231 drivers, had an issue, so I thought I would first update then report the problem if it still persisted. Well, let me see...

I downloaded the Radeon Omega 3.8.273 drivers and extracted it to a temp directory. Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Radeon Omega Setup ... <yadda> , and when it came up to asking if I wanted to remove the drivers I said "Yes" .

Rebooted and after it did it's usual song and dance when it boots up I ran the .exe I extracted and it did it's song and dance extracting and installing up until it went to install the drivers. I got the usual pop ups saying the drivers were not verified and all that and if I wanted to continue. Told it "Yes" to both pop ups (I have two monitors, well, one monitor and one tv connection) and then I get the following errors.

Registery Editor
    Cannot import C:\Program: Error opening file, there may be a disk or file error.

Registry Editor
    Cannot import Files\Radeon: Error opening file, there maybe a disk or file error.

Registry Editor
    Cannont import Omega: Error opening file, there maybe a disk or file error.

Registry Editor
    Cannot import Drivers\v3.8.273\ATT_Prof.reg: Error opening file, there maybe a disk or file error.

So I reboot after that and get a BSOD on boot up, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED one. I boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the new drivers. Then I reboot again and run CHKDSK C: , get a single error, free space marked as allolicated , so I do a boot up chkdsk to fix that. Delete all the files and start over. This time I got the same error, and I wrote it down, and caught the significant of it finally, some setting is missing the " " around C:\Program Files\Radeon Omega Drivers\v3.8.273\ATT_Prof.reg ... So I manually merged that .reg file in, no problems, rebooted, got the KMODE BSOD again. So I rebooted into Safe Mode, uninstalled the Omega drivers, deleted the files, and rebooted back into normal mode. Tried to install the old 3.8.232 drivers and got the exact same error. SO... I am now running the offical ATI drivers (5.9 Catalyst) until I can get someone to help me figure out what in the heck is going on here. Why did the new Omega drivers freak out and why did the old, was working except for a bug, Omega drivers also freak out?

My system is:

AMD Athlon 1900+
    512MB of PC2700 DDR
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    Windows 2k Pro SP4 Final (and according to www.windowsupdate.com it is fully updated)

Any useful help is, of course, greatly appreciated. Thanx!

BelGarion

2. Mr.Floppy

Mr.Floppy the puzzled aimless

I don't get those errors on installation, but i DO get the BSOD upon restart.
    With Cat 6.7 or Omega 3.8.252 I don't get that BSOD. Ideas?