Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.231 (Cat 6.3)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Mar 28, 2006.

1. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

i could be mistaken, but im pritty sure that you cant run at that resolution on most laptops. it just messes stuff up, so its primarly an lcd thing for desktops. again i could be wrong but sofar most of the people with laptops are having problems, and people with desktops are having fewer problems. just run it at something else for your laptop that works. and scale the grfx performance to run fine.

i think omega included this option based on his desktop machine, and didnt exactly have that setting tested on laptops (could be wrong).

i think people see omega say, hey oblivion is better at this resolution and they jump to it like a fly on flypaper and turns out its not for everyone.

2. Lemonzest

Lemonzest New Member

@Omega, you get that email? i got no responce

3. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

I dont know the answer to all questions. But i get those lines too when windows starts. This, i think, has to do with our monitors not using DVI (i remember someone saying that).

Also, oblivion is pretty demanding on systems. For your card, try not using any AA/HDR - stick with bloom. The fade options, keep them around 50% but keep draw distance full. If necessary, put grass OFF (far left). Put Selfshadows off as they are not showing correctly ingame (NOT an ati-issue). Shadow filter is the same as "soft shadows" so keep it low or even off. Try to enable as much as you can on water as water easily becomes really ugly with reflections off and such.

Good luck.

4. Arvidor

Arvidor DriverHeaven LOVA!!!

Have the same problem with the new drivers. Scrolling with the new drivers is not at all fluent...

Went back to the 3.8.221 and now it's totally fine. Have a Laptop with a Radeon 9700 card...
    Cheers

5. ToolPunk

ToolPunk New Member

HP Pavillion Notebook ZD8080US - Microsoft MCE
    Processor:3.4GhzE Pentium 4 w/HT
    RAM:2GB Dual Channel Corsair 4200 DDR2
    Graphics:256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600
    Sound:Conexant AC-97
    Screen:17" WSXGA/Brightview-WS
    Media:8X DVD +/- R/RW/DL
    HD:100GB 7200 RPM
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clean Booted and uninstalled the old drivers (HP release). Cleaned out the remains with the latest Driver Cleaner Pro.

Rebooted (clean boot) and Installed the Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.231 (Catalyst 6.3):
    FastWrites - Off
    Normal Omega Driver Type

ATI Tray Tools - Yes
    Multires 1.56 - Yes
    Radeon Omega Drivers - Required

Is your video card an IGP or a Laptop? - Yes

Completed installation and rebooted (clean boot, to prevent interference in the whole process). Upon boot, I was able to get to the desktop and then imediately I got the WSOD (it actually does this very slow fade from a gray/black to white and then back). In previous versions (6.1 and earlier) I only experienced the WSOD when changing the resolution, when I reached DX9 while running the DX3D diagnostics and when loading or playing a large percent of 3D based games/apps.

Here is an image

[​IMG]

This link below to a thread at the Unofficial Support forums for the ZD Notebook users (the site is trustworthy) where others have had the same problems. They have found a work around to be able to use different third party drivers (Omega release, ATI Mobility release, etc.) but as I say it is a workaround. It is some setting they turn of that allows the use of the drivers but comprimises compatibility with some games/apps that run in a 3D environment. Maybe though, if you can figure out why turning this setting off allows for use without getting the WSOD then maybe a fix can be implemented.

If you do follow this link and are interested in the work around, talk to Matt_X there in the forums. I don't think he is the one that announced the work around but he is the more inteligent one there. He has helped out a lot and has even designed his own Drivers Update Utility for us HP Notebook users (so far the ZD notebooks are the main notebooks supported). The Omega Drivers come up in his utility for us to upgrade our Graphics drivers to but we are all aware of the above issue. He also was delving into getting the issue fixed but obviously I don't think he came across a sound resolution.

The work around can be used but I have always felt that a workaround is only to tide you over untill a fix can be found. If no one that can solve the issue is made aware of it then I see no sense in using drivers that only work with a work around that allows you to play games in a limited way.

http://www.zd7000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6112&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

There was a rumor going around that went something like this, HP found a flaw in the hardware design after it was to late and had to implement a fix into the driver set but no one else knows what the cause is. These are the type of issues that ATI hoped to avoid by not supporting All MFG's ATI mobility based systems. I don't know if this was proven to be true but it makes sense to me.

Thank you for any help if at all possible.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  6. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

your laptop needs to be serviced. should still be under warrantee shouldnt it?
    if things work fine with the standard driver they may make an excuse to use just that, but if things still dont work, they may fix it, or possibly do something else. if you dont have your hp warrantee hopefully you will have an extended warrantee, if not you are SOL.

this could be a bad LCD, i have seen LCD's fade to white alot of times and just replace them. i wouldnt be shocked if it was the actuall chip on othe motherboard tho.

7. Lemonzest

Lemonzest New Member

That white/fade out is what I get when I run 640x400 on my Samsung 913N (VGA/1280x1024 Native)

so it might just be an unsupported resolution.

8. ToolPunk

ToolPunk New Member

I have no problems with the HP released drivers nor do others with the ZD line of notebooks. No problems at all under any pressure. I can post back to show that my screen works just fine with the Hp set if need be.

I am trying to use the same resolution setting as with the HP drivers. Nothing is being changed except for a swap of the driver sets HP for Omega.

9. higgledyhiggles

higgledyhiggles Active Member

installed latest omegas.
    playing oblivion, it runs at a good rate but crashes to dekstop like a bugger.

is this common at the moment ? is it the drivers ? or the game ?

need to test a few more games with 6.3 omegas.

10. jano

jano New Member

Hi,

Just installed your drivers as im having a few problems with Oblivion, had it running great for a while, but im suffering from the dreaded sewers loading screen ctd... any idea's on how i can get past this?

Also, im probably being really stupid here, but i have a crossfire system, and before there was a little option i had to tick to enable crossfire, and i cant find it anywhere with your control panel, do i have to enable it somehow still or is it done automatically..

system info;

amd 4000+
    asus a8r32-mvp deluxe
    2g ddr-400 corsair ram
    2x xt1900's..

11. shrek2

shrek2 New Member

The thing is without the ccc, there is no avivo color which makes things look significantly better.

12. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Can you point out some specific documentation on this issue? I'm assuming it's a known issue and there's probably a work around it's amatter of finding it.

13. Herr Rogers

Herr Rogers New Member

@Omega, and are you going to host these on your site also?

14. ToolPunk

ToolPunk New Member

Documentation in what sense? What more do you want me to post? I stated the issue at hand, along with a pic to show exactly what is happening. I also supplied a link to a thread where others are having the same problems. I stated that there was a work around, the things is, it is just that, a work around. The work around gets rid of the WSOD but brings different issues, it is not a fix. Maybe though, there is a way to use what is known about the work around and the issue to find a fix. This is why I have come here in hopes to find someone that could understand what is going on and maybe implement something into a driver set that would be an alternative to the HP release set.

I will try to find whatever info you need to take the next step.

15. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Programmer

I can't run Jedi Academy with antialiasing if tripplebuffer is enabled, dont' know if the same bug exist in ATI's. Anyway its like running without vsync but much more flickering.

16. coolkuh

coolkuh New Member

I have another question for my "resolution srcoll" problem.
    Is theire a way, to say the driver or the os, what the max resolution is?
    I think thats the problem, that the driver or the os (don't know who) takes
    a wrong max resoltion by some resolution i chose.
    So, is their anything possible to do?

thx coolkuh

17. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

cannot over clock with these ati overdrive just shows temp and core speed
    im using a x1800xt

19. benker

benker New Member

Icons Look Blotchy

Thanks for the new drivers, Omega! One thing - both the icons in my Taskbar and the upper-left corner of all window Titlebars are blotchy. They look like they are at a lower resolution than everything else.

The icons in my Quick Lauch toolbar, on my Desktop, in Windows Explorer, and in all of my program menus look completely fine. Just the Taskbar and Title bar icons look goofy. I hadn't seen this with previous drivers.

Any thoughts? (oh, yes I do have "True Color 32 bit" and "Show icons using all possible colors" selected in my Display Properties - so that isn't it)

20. banfitfr

banfitfr New Member

I use new omega drivers but i have problem.
    This problem : i change GAMMA settings in game for dark or light >>> crash system. reebot comp.
    I dont use any antialasing itp becouse >>> crash system. reebot comp.
    in game : oblivion end others gemes . why ??
    Graf. Cards X800GT 266MB 256bit (sapphire)