Radeon Omega Drivers for Win 2k/XP/9x/ME (Cat 3.10)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Dec 21, 2003.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I turned the "water effect" or watever it is called off- then the water doesn't glow with AA on.

2. pikenzu

pikenzu New Member

9700 np

first of all, i am sorry if this may sound silly, but i really tried to find an answer to my question before posting.......
    i have an ati sapphire 9700np. When i install the latest Omega drivers, which kind of installation should i choose? I mean, Normal or Softmod 9800? Cause i remember something about softmodding 9700 to 9800 with the drivers, but i am not able to find an option to make it work. In the installation i get the following error: "error opening file (#1, Line 23)", just before the installation of display drivers. I also get an error at the start of Artifact Tester that prevents me to use it (it is an artifact tester 4 runtime error).
    I think i have a serious problem in settings, cause after installation Aquamark give me somethin about 29000 points, that seems 10000 points less than people with similar configuration. I am open to suggestions
    thank you alll

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Athlon Xp 2500+ (Barton)
    512 MB DDR
    MOBO Asus A7V8x (revision 1013)
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 np 128 MB (infineon memory chips)
    2 HDD Maxtor 80gb diamondplus 9

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, just install mormal, the tweaks for 9700p are already there after the 3.5 cats

4. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 New Member

well, seems that omega did another good job!
    but as the 3.10 are slower than the 3.9 in general, i went back to omegas 3.9 - oh, i replaced the opengl file with the one from the 3.10 as quake3 seems to run smoother - but i haven't had issues so far, so i went back! simple as that!

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, SOF2 seems to run great with the 3.10's too!

6. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

oh crappers

nevermind i was doing something wrong
    its working fine now

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  7. Floruro

Floruro New Member

Radclocker

heres Radclocker: Radlinker

8. jmcmike

jmcmike New Member

OK, so let me get this straight. Everyone raves about these drivers but noone except the author knows what they do that makes them special? Say it isn't so...

9. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

does it really matter how omega tweaks the ati drivers as long you get better performance and stability

10. daos

daos New Member

have you ever tried omegas drivers? if not then i suggest you do and decide for yourself. first off, they fix a number of bugs that the Ati suite doesnt, in most cases. also, the image quality is always superb with the Omega suite. i run everything at 1600x1200 and i can still tell a difference between Ati and Omega drivers. the newest 3.10's run much smoother in Open GL as well. those are some of the things that make Omega stand out. im sure others can contribute...

11. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

GIGATRON just turn AA and AF to the max in the ati control pannel then go into the game settings and turn down Special Effects 1 NOTCH from max that will fix the bright glow water effects..... its piss easy and BTW AA rocks with this game lol :)

12. jmcmike

jmcmike New Member

Actually I have tried them but to be honest I did not inspect for IQ differences though I did not notice a performance improvement (at least in 3DMark)

Please remember that my point here is not of being a skeptic but rather wondering just what changes are made. I am assuming that we are talking about changes in the registry or some other driver configuration that are not present in the control panel. I am simply interested in knowing what they are.

13. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Just open the CX*.INF file in a text editor, you will SEE all the changes I make :rolleyes:

14. Magneto

Magneto New Member

I'm very sorry to hear that you (Omega) are no longer going to rework/release ATI drivers for Win9x. I have been using your modded drivers since I first bought my 9700 back in Feb. I use both Win98SE and WinXP sets, in a dual-boot setup.
    What I am curious of is this. Is ATI no longer going to support Win9x versions of drivers, or is it your decision not to?

In some ways your decision is understandable, and I suppose from your standpoint this is not open for argument. You've probably been using WinXP for quite some time, and troubling with Win9x (especially Win98/98SE) drivers is extra work for you.
    You commented on how Win9x users should consider upgrading to XP because of the many advantages offered by that O/S. Although that statement holds true in many areas, it's been my experience that 3d performance has always been better with Win98. On a given system, Win98 uses much less resources, which usually results in better performance. 3d mark tests on the various systems I've tested ALWAYS score higher with Win98SE. Only the newest of games written for XP perform as well or better, and most times it's the larger amounts of memory (needed for XP) installed that breaks the tie. It's easy to find games that won't work with XP, but much harder to find ones that don't run just fine under 98.

Also, Win98 is the O/S most in need of your registry tweaks and mods. The official ATIs still need the registry hacks to get refresh rates working properly, even after all this time. Your's do not. Every Win98 set of ATIs has caused at least one problem for me, your Omega versions seem to have fixed them.
    ATI official CATs work much better with WinXP compared to Win98, and I really haven't had problems with them under XP. I get the luxury of testing different sets between the Windows versions to help decide which set I want to commit to. I usually always come back to Omegas.

In conclusion, I do thank you for the wonderful work you've done with the drivers for the community. You deserve alot of praise. I guess I will have to rely on your CAT 3.10s until I finally run into a game that needs a driver update. Sadly, I will then have to return to ATI officials, because I would not even consider using WinXP for the majority of the games that I own and play.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Had to get it off my chest.

Mag...

15. jmcmike

jmcmike New Member

Thanks! I'll do that. Thanks for all your work.

16. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Re: Optimizations

If you have questions regarding Omegadrivers you might ask the man himself on his site ..
    Omega's Corner

Omegadrivers are based on Official ATI Drivers .. Omega works with ATI to provide a quick and decisive response to issues and problems that might occur from Official Cat releases.
    He's damn good at it and if you clicked that link .. Omega drivers are the only non-ATI drivers recognized and supported by ATI;)

Too Magneto .. BRO 98SE is becoming a bit outdated man:(
    It was once (and still is ) in many respects the gamers choice .. But its time has come ..
    Microsoft will be (if it it already hasn't) be dropping support for that OS as well .. Like they did with Win95 ..
    XP is the next generation man .. Even though I am a DOS guy at heart ;)

17. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

Re: Re: Optimizations

is 98se the gamers choice? with all the respect, but, I have tried many games on both and well better performance on 98se but stability doesnt worth it, so not my choice, and i think not much gamers choice =P

18. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Like I said a bit outdated .. but had its time ^^;)

19. Hi_its_Ryan

Hi_its_Ryan New Member

I have the exact same problem, and that did not do anything at all for me. Smartgart has my AGP slot turned off in the basic and advanced menus, and nothing i do can turn them back on.

I have teh 3.10 Omegas

9700 pro
    ASUS p4c800-e deluxe

20. ToranagaSama

ToranagaSama New Member

Help

Ditto that, SmartGart has mine OFF too and NOTHING, so far, is making a difference.

I, inadvertently, posted the below in the Cat 3.10 forum, a couple hours after the Omega 2.54 were released, but I meant to post it here.

---

Hello all,

AGP Settings, Set AGP Speed is "Off"; Current AGP Speed is "Off".

Nothing I do changes this setting. My MB supports 4X, but when I set SmartGart to 4X and click apply, I get the Restart popup, click OK, the system restarts and the settins is still set to Off.

Maybe I just need to get some sleep, but what gives? Is this the way its supposed to be?

Previously, I had the prior Omega Drivers loaded 2.94. I downloaded the exe and executed. Omega 2.5.04 is listed as the driver on the Adapter Tab. I did not uninstall the 2.94 drivers, installed over them.

Could it have some to do with this (cut from Readme):

"Setting the AGP speed to off no longer results in the AGP speed still being shown as enabled to 4x in the SMARTGART tab "

Win2000 SP4
    Abit KR7AR - via KT266/333 AGP 1.5 volts
    AMD XP 1800
    Radeon 9700 pro
    Direct X 9.0b
    1024 x 768 76Hz
    32 bpps AA 4x AF 8x
    JFYI, I unchecked, Alternate DVI operational mode, as I have a CRT.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

----

So far, I've tried everything. MB bios settings are correct, 4x -128 aperture. The *Advanced SmartGart* has no effect.

The interesting thing is that prior to installing 2.54, everything was fine. Now, no matter which drivers I install, AGP is OFFF!

I've un-installed, used the Clean Tool (to my Chargin), re-installed, Cat. 3.9, Omega. 2.94, AND Cat. 3.10, AGP remains Off in all cases.

Sorry, actually, I can't install Omega 2.94, since running the Clean Tool, when installing 2.94, the install routine stops and asks for a "....Disc 2". There is NO disk 2!!! Or, am I missing something.

I used the Clean Tool to clean all ATI files AND the Cab Files, etc. (Was that mistake?)