Radeon Omega Drivers for Win9x/ME/2k/XP (Cat 3.8)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Here they are folks, just a few minutes after the official release, the Omega drivers based on the Cat 3.8 are ready for download.

What's New? (v2.4.87)

* Based on the official Catalyst 3.8 ATI drivers. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* All the new ATI Control Panel features included in the Catalyst 3.8 drivers are fully available. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Added a new intro to the ATI drivers installation. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Personalized the ATI Control Panel. (Watch out for COPYCATS). (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Disabled 32Bit Z buffer by default in D3D for low-end cards (if you need it, you can enable it anytime in the ATI CP). (2k/XP)

* Incorporated the 9500/9700/9800SE MODs for Windows 9x/ME. (9x/ME)

* Added RadClocker and Artifact Tester 5 for Windows 9x/ME. (9x/ME)

* Added support for the Radeon 9800XT. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Added support for other Mobility cards. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Updated the DirectX Control Panel to version 9.0b. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Added a tweak to remove black borders from TV Overscan. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

* Added MWV video DX hardware acceleration support. (9x/ME/2k/XP)

You can download them here in DH or you can download from the mirrors at my site.

Enjoy!

2. ColtIce

ColtIce New Member

thanks man very nice .i had the 3.8's installed by 3:15 uninstalled them and installed these by 8:00.you rock,your drivers rock,and i want to thank you again

3. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

Sweet Man

You are truly a Generous Man omega..... giving so much for so very little

Thank You

oglsmm

4. megatron

megatron New Member

I have just downloaded both ati and omega drivers, and looked in the readmes. Is there any expected performance increases for my 9700pro? Do the Omega drivers give better picture quality? Why should I install theseinstead of the ati catalysts? I am interested in the points I made above, and I use rage3d tweak and refreshfix (rage3d) and therefore will not be installing any of the optional components. TBH I never see any difference between the two types and I have been using both since the 8500 was brand new. Thats not to say that Omega doesn't do a good job or even ati for that matter. FYI I am going straight for the omega drivers. I have faith.

5. deng72

deng72 New Member

installed & running great.

thanks for your great (and fast! :cool: ) work omega

6. black hole sun

black hole sun New Member

He's a beta tester so he did all his tweaks before the official release :)

But gj Omega and keep it up! :D

7. cOoLeRgUy

cOoLeRgUy New Member

...that was fast. :cool:

8. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

out of curiosity

Why are the Omega Drivers so much smaller then the ATI All-In_One Package.... esspecially when Omega's have all the Extra's installed....???
    Just curious?

oglsmm

9. Omegadrive

Re: out of curiosity

That's because the ATI drivers include 4 full installers, one for the whole package, one for the drivers, one for the WDM and one for the Control Panel, that sums to around 6 extra MBs in each ATI release.

I only include two installers, the extraction Omega installer and the driver's installer. As most of the utilities that I include are pretty small, they don't sum up much to the size of the package.

10. wk357mag

wk357mag Banned

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  11. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

Re: Re: out of curiosity

So then how do you install the Control Panel??? It appears to be installed using your driver... so wouldn't that make 3 installers??

Regardless Omega Drivers have ALWAYS given me a huge boost over the stock ATI ones..

Although I've done something somewhere which is preventing my framerate from going above 62.9in games. (Mohaa, Generals, Halo)

Ah well thats still smooth.

oglsmm

12. Tyrant

Tyrant New Member

oglsmm - Sounds like Vsync is on.

13. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Seems fine, except for one minor oddity. The "Current settings" section under the 3D tab doesn't display the Direct3D values correctly, in part using the OpenGL values rather than the actual Direct3D values used in the Custom settings. I didn't use the regular Radeon package for more than an hour because the Omegadrivers were darn quick to come out (rejoice!) so I might be mistaken, but I don't think it had the same tiny but irritating bug in there. If it did, then someone affirming that could clear up something that others will no doubt ask about. :) (I'm too tired and lazy to switch just to check that up right away, especially since it's not a big deal)

14. Omegadrive

Re: Re: Re: out of curiosity

I install it using the same installer that is used for the drivers, that way you have two installations in one pass, no need for a third installer.

mkk, I don't have that problem here, the main 3d tab shows exactly what I have in the custom settings, in both D3D and OGL. You did removed the ATI CP before installing don't you?
    Anyway., I'm using Profiles to store my settings, one for benchmarks, one for max quality and one for max quality with no FSAA, and they all apply correctly.

15. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Try setting 2x AA on Direct3D and 4x AA on OpenGL. Save the profiles or use ones you already had if they fit the numbers, then switch between the two to change the information field. Here it always end up showing the OpenGL value for AA. (after some quick testing it seems that only AA is affected while AF values display correctly, but I haven't checked everything) The Direct3D values work correctly in games and so, it's just the information that gets mistyped in some situations here. If that doesn't happen to you then I will have to investigate further and come back if I find anything interesting.

Cleaned out ATI's control panel and the rest using ATI's new cleaner tool wich seems okay at a glance.

Edit: It's probably a tiny bug coming from the ATI original driver package anyway. No biggie either way.

Edit 2: Ah, yes. It's the same with the standard Catalyst 3.8 drivers. So that should be that then. Forget about it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  16. Ivan244

Ivan244 New Member

When I install the 3.8 rev, Halo now comes up to totally black screen. If I go back to previous rev of Omega drivers, no issues. Have the same issue with reg 3.8 drivers.
    I am running a 9700 Pro AIW.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am running under Win2k Pro.

17. brywalker

brywalker New Member

Not to troll, but Halo is possibly one of the worst coded games in PC history. A new patch came out today, try that.

18. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Seems like a case for the regular Radeon 3.8 thread as it isn't really specifically related to the latest Omega package but a generic Radeon 3.8 problem. (I can't confirm though as I don't have that game)

19. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

stupid question

How do you actually turn off AA or AF ? the lowest i can set them to is 2x or application prefererence....I keep seeing where people say to turn them off to fix some performance problems so i just wondered how you do that. I have a 9700 pro AIW

20. Runner3001

Runner3001 New Member

Application preference effectively turns off AA, if the game calls for AA, which none do, it will get AA. You won't find a game that actually uses AA without you asking it to, there are a few that have options for it in their menus though.