Radeon seems slow vs. geforce2 in counter-strike

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Thepoweroflove, May 9, 2002.

1. Thepoweroflove

Thepoweroflove New Member

I had a geforce2 ti, i would play counterstrike and i would always have like 100fps all of the time. Now i got a radeon 8500 thingie and i get lower performance in cs. It is strange sometimes my framerate dips down to 45 fps. hmmm.. This sorta makes me mad, it goes slower, and its "newer better faster stronger harder" technology. anyone else know how to make cs run faster? Or is this a ati "live with it buster!" thing.

athlon 1.333C-k7VZA-512sdr
    radeon 8500 memmory oc'ed 603mhz
    winXP pro
    latest OMEGA-OPTIMUSPRIME-MEGATRON-Gi joe-DBZ..... driver

2. Renegade[CSR]

Renegade[CSR] New Member

Well, disabling truform, believe it or not, can drastically improve your opengl performance. I tested it myself just for kicks the other day, and I think i gained about 15 fps in counter-strike with it off.

Try setting it at ati_npatch 0.5 for less of a performance hit. I'm pretty sure it's faster than 1.0 and gives the same quality. I might be wrong, so don't quote me on it ;)

3. Thepoweroflove

Thepoweroflove New Member

:)
    well i dont think its on, but ill give it a try. thanks.

4. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

another question is since you said you went from a GF2 Ti to an 8500 is did you remove all nvidia software and registry entries?

ATi and nVidia cards dont play nice together

In either case you have to do the uninstall and clean reg or a system format

and thats not because you went from nVidia to ATi.

It would be true if you had gone the opposite way as well

edit-also step down your overclock a little........i found my fastest overclock to be at 284/292....anything over that and the heat starts causing it to slow down to un o/ced speeds