Radeon X1950 PRO died - replacement?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by WillC, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WillC

WillC New Member

I've come to the conclusion that my GPU has finally died after only 1 year. I fixed fans and the temperature, I like to believe, has dropped. However I think it was either too late, or the GPU may have been defective since I got it considering the artifacts instantly. I started up the computer, started a game and instantly it crashed with an error. This happens every time, and at least my card is finally predictable! :rolleyes:

I think I'm gonna try an nVidia powered card, no good experiences with ATI and poor quality for me. nVidia can't be worse than only 1 yr of operation...

Being Canadian it is a bit harder for me to find the cheapest site that ships to me, but I think there are good sites, mainly TigerDirect.ca - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics and Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada but I don't know of others with CAD prices.

I have been looking at some cards, like XFX GeForce 8600 GTS Video Card - FREE Company of Heroes PC Game, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card PVT84GYDQ3 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca, BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC2 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card BFGE88512GTOC2E in Canada at TigerDirect.ca, and EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card 512-P2-N773-AR in Canada at TigerDirect.ca.

My mobo is GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.0), and my PSU is OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt ATX 120mm Fan SATA Ready SLI Ready EPS Active PFC Power Supply OCZ700GXSSLI in Canada at TigerDirect.ca.

Do you guys think the ones I picked are good, I have no knowledge of nVidia so I was just wondering. My buget atm is only $200 CAD and I appreciate any help. Any card that is (much preferably) better than a HIS ATI Radeon x1950 PRO is good and I don't mind spending between $120-200.

EDIT: I also found this which is cheaper than the other 8800GT I was looking at: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3548332&CatId=3670

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I love my EVGA 8800GT. :)

And the 8800 should spank the 8600 if your budget will stretch.

3. WillC

WillC New Member

Ok cool, so I am looking at the 8800GT right now, I have found it on 2 of my trustworthy CAD sites. directcanda.com has cheaper shipping but I just wanted to confirm... I was looking at the http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11610BD7667 and someone told me that this card is still good and you can overclock it easily so the "superclocked" does not mean too much in this case. Also I noticed it is an E-Geforce, is that any different than a normal Geforce?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  4. cozumel

E-GeForce? Don't really know. I think it's just a marketing thing from EVGA and they really just GeForce tech...

5. WillC

WillC New Member

Ok thanks I think I'm going to get it.

6. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Good choice! I was planning on picking one of those up for my upgrade soon but now that those new 4850's are out thats probably the direction im going to go in

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

4850 would spank the 8800/9800 series..........

8. cozumel

Hey kris...is e-GeForce just an evga marketing thing or what??

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

pretty much.....

just like when you see the manufacturer name like BFG GeForce, Gigabyte GeForce, and im assuming EVGA GeForce.....

even if there was any EVGA only tech in the card, it probably isnt anything much as theres 0% performance increase or effects compared to any other geforceof the same type from a different manufacturer

10. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

Assuming its not too late, have you considered Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more. or Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU’s and much more

Both sites are very reliable and great stock w/ great prices to match. Not sure how good they are for shipping though. They're located throughout the greater toronto area.

11. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

it might spank them but at least i know geforce drivers will support all my games...not talking bad about ati but thats why i got reed of my 1950 to many driver issues...

12. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

no difference really other than the customer service/warranty of the company in question ;)

to my understanding when dealing with NVIDA, EVGA is the best in the business ;)

13. zarkov

zarkov New Member

Good Canadian connection

Hello, I buy most of my stuff through NCIX.COM they deal in Canadian prices and price match other Canadian shops/ We will always get the short end financially but what the hell it is by far worth living here. Oh yeah now I don't want to get into a political thing . I love my US relatives !

14. CDsDontBurn

15. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

well that would be a nice deal for our friends to the north :D

yeah I think ATi has really done a great deal of driver improvement in gaming under their platform. But who knows. I know I'm going to give them a second shot. The last card I had from them was the X700 which is still being used at my parents' house. I liked that card a lot but the Nvidia route was so much more bang for the buck when I was looking for a card so I went to them

16. CDsDontBurn

my last "upgrade" was to my current x1950pro AGP, lol. the card isn't all that great, it artifacts (minor but noticeable) as soon as i start playing games. so, i've gone the route of the console until my next upgrade.

idk if i'll go with ATI or not. probably won't though because my work deals alot with NVIDIA based stuff though.

17. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Is sending it for a RMA not an option?
    I mean, I know for sure those things have a longer warranty then just 1 year.

18. cozumel

In the UK fitness for purpose and satisfactory quality are just two parts of the consumer protection legislation that operate over and beyond a warranty period. So if, for example, your £1,000 plasma monitor failed two months after warranty and the replacement part cost say £500, then the reseller/manufacturer would have a legal duty to repair or replace the monitor free of charge.

19. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

yea.. So I don't really see the point in getting a whole new card if he could send the x1950pro for repair.

20. CDsDontBurn

haha. here in the states, you'd be SOL :lol:

some people get pissed, but that's what the american flag is all about, capitalism :annoyed: :rolleyes: :dead: :tears: