radeon8500- r6-III texture-flickering

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by elias, Nov 17, 2002.

1. elias

elias New Member

hi,
    i have some problems with my enmic 8500 275/275..im starting to think of "repairing" it with a sledgehammer and this really p***** me of since ive tried and tried and tried and the problem wont be solved..so you better answer fast:)

win 2k
    xp1800
    abit kr7a-raid133
    terratac dmx6fire
    512mb cl2 ram

problem:
    running the raven shield demo, i am able -for example- to see what actually is in the next room.
    only partially,but i can see it.it looks like the texture on random objects is being taken away and then returned again.this appears randomly,and even if i stand still,there is this kind of flickering textures.
    sometimes there even IS a texture on e.g. a wall next to me,but you can see another object "through" it.
    i think it went away once when i switched everything to default settings in win2k contrl panel.but i dont know which parameter is responsible for for this mess..help..

uh almost forgot; i am running the newest 2.4? catalyst drivers,but i had the same problems with the older driver.
    any help wld be appreciated!
    thx guys

elias

2. DonnoD

DonnoD New Member

I can't offer much help but if it makes you feel any better many, many people are having big problems with this demo. It's very buggy.

The most common problems people are having with R6-3 is
    -crashing when joining games
    -General Protection Faults (crashes to desktop)
    -missing on-screen weapons
    -mouse/keyboard controls stop working intermittently

3. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

Elias, way back when, I worked on the original version of
    UnReal. We had these kinds of graphics issues as well... It is indeed probably due to the programming in the game that you are experiencing problems...

Remember, game demos that are released before the actual game is released should be considered BETA software.
    More often than not, the demo is completed before the game has gone gold, and the optimizations that the final product has in it may not be found in the demo. There are some companies that release their demos after the product has been released (Madden series is one of these) and the coding is more optimized.

Hopefully this group will find and fix the issues.

4. Tengujin

Tengujin Forecast for tonight: Dark

Elias,

I believe this has something to do with either smoothvision or aniso filtering. I exactly had this with UT2k3 when i enebled both these two and UT2k3 was running in D3D. I Never tried running UT2k3 in OpenGL and these enabled, so i don't know what happens then.

Cheers,
    T.

5. MSX

MSX Burning the frozen...

I've experienced the same problems... Only thing that seems to fix it is putting AA and AF on app prefference(off)... Which really sucks because theres lots of objects in RS and AA would make it much easier on my eyes...

So much for optomized by ati graphics...

MSX

6. DonnoD

DonnoD New Member

Nvidia and matrox users have most of the same problems. It's just a buggy pre-release demo.