RAID setup and OS

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SeaWulf, Jul 24, 2008.

1. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Active Member

I am back again since everyone has been very helpful with my questions on building my first PC....................

My OS will be vista 64 Home Premium and I had planned a RAID 0 setup with 2 WD 750 HDDs 7,200 rpms ... My question is after I setup RAID 0 in Intel RAID controller bios ...how is the best way to setup the OS on the HDDS .. do I create a parition for the OS ? if so how big should it be??????

Would it better to have a seperate smaller SATA HDD(size???) for the OS? (I have plenty of HDD bays and SATA connections on the MB- MSI X48 Platinum)

Please bear with me I am really a novice..............

As always your assistance is greatly appreciated Thanks

Paul

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I'm going to go to RAID0 on my rig and I got 320Gb seagate, I will get another for RAID, and one 500Gb WD drive. As far as I know enable the RAID in the BIOS first then goto to the RAID controllers BIOS and setup the RAID in there. Then install Vista, remember to make the RAID drivers floppy before starting. Intel has this exe file that makes the floppy for you with newest drivers.

Get the floppy creation utility here

3. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Active Member

==========
    T.

You are, as always, very responsive thanks

What you have written above was the same approach as outlined by MSI Tech support so it sounds good to me

I notice that you have the OS on a seperate HD(SATA?) from your RAID... is that a better approach than have the OS on the RAID HDDs?

Regards

4. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

Hi
    I've been using raid 0 for over 12 months and not had any problems. I set up 2 x Western Digital 160gb RE with a seperate controller card and they have been rock solid. My experience with on-board raid was pretty bad, hence the move to seperate controller card.
    I prefer to create 1 large partition out of the 2 drives and load the os and apps on to this. Works well imo.
    I would recommend some form of back up for sensitive data though, if your raid 0 fails, then your data is lost.

I've used raid on vista and one of advantages of vista is that you can use a usb stick to load the raid drivers during the install !

Good luck with your build

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I don't currently have RAID but I'm moving in to it when I get some €€€'s ;)
    But I think that if you use RAID0 on your config you are fine in terms of speed. You can create as many partitions during the Vista setup as you deem to fit you needs.