Rainbow 6 - Lockdown SP Demo: Comments and Observations

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have several friends who absolutely swear by this series of games. Maybe I'm spoiled, but, there are some real letdowns IMO. Among them:

1. No environmental manipulation: You can't use/destroy anything like boxes, boards, vehicles, lights or anything else in the environment. It's just all staticly drawn. Example: Throw a grenade and you see a big flash, but none of the surrounding items is affected. I'd expect things to go flying hither and yon in thousands of pieces. Not even the vehicles budge.

2. Squad commands don't work to expectations: I commanded my team to HOLD position while I went down through the stairwell. My intention was to flank the enemy from behind and then draw my comrades from the front. Lo and behold, as I opened the door at the bottom of the stairwell, there was one of my comrades. Before I actually ID'd him as such, I shot and killed him! He wasn't supposed to be there yet!

3. Overall Dissatisfied: I'm just not sure what draws anyone to this series under these circumstances. Not even a prone position for sniper focusing.

I think I'd rate this maybe a 3 on a scale of 0 - 10.

Does anyone expect the released version to be any better than this demo?

2. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

Well...I'm a big fan of this series. I played Rogue Spear and Raven Shield for over a year each competively in clans. I was in the #1 clan on Ravenshield as well.

The new one is....not good. It controls poorly and feels like a console game. Really dissappointing what they've done to the series.

but about your points...its supposed to be a realistic tactical game.

Grenades wouldnt move cars or objects that much in real life. Their charge is only meant to send fragments flying. they dont really have an explosion that would cause a body or other objects to move that much, if at all.

prone position was in Raven Shield, but not in the Original R6 nor Rogue Spear. I think this is because it was somewhat cumbersome. the point of the game isnt really sniping, its CQB.

But I think the new one is somewhat weak in terms of gameplay. I'm going to wait for judgement until I can play Multiplayer, because thats what these games are really about.

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

did they get rid of the fully geared models like they did on consoles? on ravenshield and original R6 they had them fully dressed and the interface was very PC oriented. with R6 on the xbox, all the characters had their helmets taken off, it looks really gay IMO. i doubt this one has the crazy amounts of planning you can do and that awesome R6 theme.

this is why i hate xbox, it has ruined many good games by porting it.

4. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

id love to give comments and observations but it wont install....have downloaded it multiple times from different places with and without download helpers.....its not the file....i click the install it pops up with starting install shield and then dissappears and.....nothing

5. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

No...they changed alot of things from the Xbox version pimpsta, including the models. Most things in it look far more realistic/serious than its console counterpart. However, the entire planning portion of the game is gone, as is the use of multiple teams, and insertion points. In fact, you cant even switch between characters. if they character you're playing dies, its game over. bleh.

6. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

wish i could play it =(

7. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

What clan were you in for RavenShield Nacht?

8. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

DuNZ

In the pickup ladder we beat the #1 ranked clan 2-3 3-0 3-0

9. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Yea, I thought your name was familiar. I'm SMAK_gonz0.

10. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

oh cool. I havent talked to anyone from RvS in a long while...still got cruiser and engione on AIM tho.

Are yall still matching on RvS or planning on moving to Lockdown?

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

12. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

SMAK doesn't match anything right now. Just chilling and trying to finish up my degree here @ SDSU for me. Lockdown needs some serious changes. I don't like respawns, I don't like damage bars. I don't like double speed running. So if they change that, maybe.

13. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

i agree with you on all of the above...

but even other things feel off. the control scheme is kind of weird, as well as the way you switch weapons/use kit items.

back to the roots, says I.

14. goingtojapan

goingtojapan New Member

oh just tried it, what a piece of crap, halleluja! 1/10

15. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

It doesen't deserve the title "Rainbow Six" in front of it's name. And it should be renamed to "Letdown".

Regards, Partizan