RAM Prices! What to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Matt, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Techy Bloke Wasting Time

Is it me or is DDR 2 Prices crazy right now?

I'm getting a new board, going for a Asus P5B D, any ideas on what RAM to buy. I want about 2GB, but i don't want to have to sell a arm and a leg to get it. Mid range Speed would be nice.

Any ideas on what to buy or just wait a few months would help.
    :confused:

2. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

DH's own Grace wrote an outstanding review encompassing several different brands Here just recently.

I think you'll find that very helpful.

3. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

RAM's price is going up a lot lately at least in my area... DDR2 667MHz-CL5 value series RAMs on some brands/models are now selling at the price that is not far from the price of DDR2-800-CL4 RAMs on some brands/models that is known to be a good modules a few month earlier. i think this could be just due to, today people starting to use DDR2 more and more...
    anyway, if you're going to build a Intel’s Core 2 computer and you like to overclock the system... a beter DDR2-800 and higher MHz with having low-latency memory modules should help you on this, i believe. so i suggest you to have plenty on reading on about the RAM that you want to buy. however, if you don't like to overclock your system then DDR2-667 CL5 RAMs can deliver more than enough bandwidth that the Intel’s Core 2 can use them.

4. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

In our country memory prices also went sky high. But I think that in a week or two, they will eventually drop. Wait a little.

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

there is time when RAM's prices are so low, and there is time just like today that it's price are too high
    if you happens to buy RAM oftentimes in a year or just checking their prices, then you know what i mean...
    so yep, just need to wait a bit, till price drops...

6. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Ya ram prices here soared recently two. Most 2GB sets went up $80 or more, its pretty insane.

7. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Yeah I thought I was the only one who saw that... why is it that they're going up so freakin' high?

8. Matt

Matt Techy Bloke Wasting Time

nobody knows :) Tried searching on google for a reason no luck.

9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Why are prices going up? Because more and more flash memory is being used today, so some memory manufacturers are producing less ram memory chips in order to produce more flash memory. There is just more money to be made in the flash memory area right now, and with less production of ram memory means there is less of it out there. Hence the increase in price.

Only problem is that you are going to see flash memory go up in price soon too, as well as ram as we get towards years end. Reason being is that almost all memory manufacturers slow down production towards the end of the year to sell off current stock, and then ramp up production a month or so after new years when stock get's low. Then we'll start seeing prices drop again come first or second quarter.

Edit: I should note that ram prices may drop a bit, specifically the ones that have Samsung chips on them. Samsung ramped up production of their 0.11 micron chips, so that might help things out.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006