RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by LeanWolf, May 27, 2015.

1. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Hey guys!

I've recently upgraded my rig and I just tried to upgrade the RAM with this:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 2x8GB 1600MHz, PC3-12800, 1.5V, CL8 (8-8-8-24)

but it won't even post to BIOS when powered on. I reset the BIOS and the motherboard even has a "RAM OK" button to try to fix incompatible RAM, I tried each stick individually, but nothing works.
    I put the old RAM back in:
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz, PC3-12800, 1.5V, 8-8-8-24
    and it starts up again without any problem. As you see it's very similar RAM, besides the producer and size.

What could the problem be? Is it simply incompatible with my motherboard, and if so, is it always a crap-shoot whether RAM will be compatible or not?
    The motherboard lists some RAM modules, but it's a rather short list, especially considering how many different RAM modules are available. The Crucial site actually lists my mainboard as compatible.
    I googled the issue (of course) and it seems to be a very common issue in general, but the solutions are few and specific to each setup.

Here's the rest of the rig:

ASUS Z97-AR
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    Crucial SSD MX100 256GB

Zotac GeForce GTX 970

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've personally had nothing but problems with both Crucial and Corsair ram.... I've yet to have a bumb Patriot stick.... Always a possible of having a bad kit.... but having had to deal with a couple of kits from either.... I've never had luck with either brand... always issues.. either post issues or failed memtest or just weird issues that were resolved with gskill/patriot/kingston ram.

3. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Sounds like you've had some bad luck.. I'm not sure what kind of numbers you're talking about, but the user reviews are generally quite good for the RAM I'm having trouble with. The question is: IS it a bad kit? Should I go for a different brand or try to replace this particular kit? I'm pretty sure it's been returned by a previous customer, the plastic was only taped shut.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I'd contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement, but personally I'd ask them to refund me my money and send the kit that isn't working back or ask for a replacement that is a different brand (preferably gskill or Kingston). Only reason I got Crucial RAM was because the price was right.

LeanWolf likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Usually you wouldn't have trouble with a "kit"; only individual sticks. However, there are 2 things to watch for: 1) if it's from a retailer, was the kit opened before? I've seen people come in with kit's they've bought only to find out that after you take off the RAM sink the sticks are duds/blanks that someone swapped the sinks from. 2) if it's from a personal sale, the stick/s could be bad from the get go.

My advice: put the original sticks back in, and if you haven't done so, update the bios. Once that's done boot back into the bios, and reset it to default values. Shut down, and try 1 of the new sticks, then the other, or both. If it doesn't work, shut down, and hit the MemOK! button.

Another thing you could try is that when you are in the bios, before the swap, switch the RAM timings to manual settings. Don't use XMP.

LeanWolf likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've had only one set of Corsair RAM a few years ago. That went bad almost immediately. I've not bothered with Corsair since.

7. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Thanks for the input guys!
    I see that there's an update for my BIOS, but it only lists updated CPU compatibility.. but I'll try that anyway.
    I also didn't try the other available dual RAM slots on the board, as using them isn't optimal space-wise with the CPU cooler. I figured it shouldn't matter, was I right?
    Playing with RAM timings isn't something I've tried before, I see in my MB manual that there are 4 pages of DRAM timing options, I wouldn't know where to begin.. I see that the board has an 'EZ XMP' switch: "enable to allow overclocking the DIMMs", should I try that?

Calliers likes this.
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

atm... considering the issue you are having.. i'd say it wouldn't make sense to enable "overclocking" on ram that isn't working.

9. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Nope, they won't post, no matter what I try.
    Updated the BIOS, manually set the timings (much easier than I thought), even tried the EZ XMP switch - nothing.
    Back they go, to be replaced with something (hopefully) better.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

No worries! And this time get Kingston or gskill just to be safe!

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm using Crucial Ballistic for the past two years or so. Have had no problem (yet!). [Knock on wood!]