Random FPS drop on Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 256MB

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Jizzle, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Jizzle

Jizzle New Member

Ok I'm pretty sure it's not my processes or system or anything of that sort.

The problem is when I'm playing any game, about 5 mins into it the frame rate drops to probably less than 1 fps, regardless of the graphic intensity or settings. After a minute and a half or so, the problem just disappears, only to come back maybe 5 mins later. Very very very annoying problem, I can't even play any games!

System Specs:
    Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 Ghz
    RAM - 512 MB
    Video Card - Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 256 MB
    And a 2.0 compatible AGP slot

that should be all you need.

Things I've tried and failed:
    I've uninstalled & reinstalled the nvidia drivers numerous times, I even rolled them back a few times and it still didn't help. I updated Direct X and such, still no dice. The music doesn't glitch up, only the picture. And finally I virus scanned, defragged, and performed a disk clean-up. I've had this problem before, reformatting worked but obviously it just came back, there has to be some way to fix this w/o reformatting, any ideas?

Thanks!

- J to tha Izzle

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Check for spy ware!
    Check anything that might be running in the back ground!

Make sure almost nothing in running while you play turn of any anti-virus, close any un needed programs stuff like that...

It could be something running in the back ground

3. Jizzle

Jizzle New Member

O, I killed all spyware and such, and ended all the processes it would let me w/o shutting down, still nothing :(

4. Sturmbahn

Sturmbahn New Member

Mine does nearly the same thing, but I have mine figured out. I have my eVGA 5900 Ultra overclocked to 521/986 which is so close to its limit that every few hours the graphics suddenly lock up followed by the sound about 5 sec later. Right after the sounds locks, everything holds for a second and then *shazam* game on. Lowering the memory speed solves this problem, but I'm too lazy to care. If you are overclocking, lower your settings so it doesn't keep tripping over itself trying to catch up.

5. Murdock

Murdock New Member

I had the same issue with my Asus FX5700/TD 256 ,with Forceware 61.34.
    With the newer drivers the 61.XX the Card can't be over clocked that high as wit the 56.XX drivers, thats my experience clocking back was sure for me the solution.

I'v heard about auto over clocking but my bios doesn't support this, i upgraded to a other bios for my card witch had the capability of auto over clocking but the games goes stuttering and mouse lag, so i set back my original bios.
    My card can handle every demanding game with ease, Halo and Farcry in the highest setting on stock Clocking,
    Since winxp sp2, so i dont see the need of overclocking.

Any other people had the same experience with this 61.xx drivers?
    plz let me (us) know.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  6. Jizzle

Jizzle New Member

Well I havn't touched the default settings, so it shouldn't be overclocked, and if it's auto-overclocking how do I move it down so I don't have this problem anymore?? any hints/suggestions/whatevers? thanks