Random Hardware Thought

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Computers I own usually stay on for days, rebooted only when necessary and rarely shut down. Yet they tend to last years and years, most of them.
    Do game consoles last as long when/if used so much? I had a PSP which had button issues after probably 20 hours of gameplay, Xbox 360 consoles which had one hardware issue or another after a couple of years, Xbox 360 gamepads which (all of them) had a thumbstick just lose centering after few months to a couple of years, etc.

None of my other consoles is anywhere near on as much as any of my PCs. I mean, not even close, but I still wonder, would they last as much, at least some of them, operating basically 365/year for anything between 18-24 hours a day?

Any personal experience?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yes they can... but it's entirely down to the circumstances which are so variable.

Though it's more inefficient and higher risk to leave any electronic device "on/running" as anything that can go wrong, will certainly ensure it goes as catastrophically as it can since no one is around to see it happen usually.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I make sure I shut down my PCs whenever I'm not using them. Another thing that can make electronics go bad, not using them at all for very very long periods of time.

As for consoles, they tend not to have the best cooling solutions, and also a lot of them sit on the floor or worse still the carpet, so they usually die after a while. If you've got a console try to elevate it off the floor/carpet and give it a bit of space around it in the wall unit to "breathe" and expel heat, don't just let it be right up against the wall for example.

4. Judas

generally only thing that will go wrong due to lack of use... is humidity in the air causing corrosion.... this is why it's best to store them in dry cool places.

5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I know nothing of consoles... but to add to the PC side, I am a firm believer of a PC being powered on 24/7. I just recently "retired" two systems of mine, one that ran for 11 years and one that ran for 8 years (790GX and 990FX chipsets), plus I just retired a 2TB WD Caviar Green with 64,868 hours and a Power on Count of 1,082 in the 9+ years since it was manufactured (that's about 60 hours per power on)... All my "retired" hardware still works, they are just old and deserved their rest :)

QB

[​IMG]

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

For years I have left my PC on 24/7-365. I have a UPS also connected. But, it's set to sleep after a set time. Whether it's true or not, I read years ago that the surge of electricity when starting up a PC can do more harm than simply leaving it on and idle.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Calliers

Well, as much as you guys have your beliefs, I have mine. :)

I have never had any problems with any of my systems keeping them for years and years while making sure to switch them off whenever I'm not using them. This has worked for me. And I will carry on with this practice. :p

(knock on wood)

8. Judas

It's basically nonsense outside of electron migration which is frankly not really seen.

It's much akin to the vehicle though.. repeatedly turn on and off the vehicle is hard on it's components/starter/etc. But avoiding this by leaving it idling when not in use for extensive periods of time is equally as silly/wasteful/stupid even. Hours add up and the chances of failure rise considerably for every additional hour.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

I think what you are trying to say is everything in moderation.

Coz don't get me wrong, I do use my PC lots, it's practically on all day, but when I sleep, it sleeps, and that's that. :)