Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

So remember the job I got the interview for the other day?
    I was offered the job! I will be moving to Christchurch soon :)

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

woooooooo!
    well done son :)

3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

[​IMG]

4. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Congratulations Neshi :D

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Playstation 4's disk layout is insane...

[​IMG]

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm supposed to talk for eight more hours tomorrow and a few minutes ago, a song was playing on YouTube and when I opened my mouth, nothing came out. :(

7. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

You lost your voice? :(

Just played 4 Gragas games today in a row and won all of them, the league gods smile upon me.

Cow_160483 likes this.
  8. Judas

I've been playing quite a few games and i can say that while a R9 285 2GB did 4k for a good chunk of games... specially those that were say made prior to 2013 of any significant graphic complexity... usually would run "well"... at max settings..... The r9 380 is basically the exact same chip... the r9 380x however seems to have just that edge required to always maintain a frame rate well above 30fps... and usually holds steady at 60fps with dips into the 42.5 range.... otherwise during other less complex scenes it's not uncommon to see 120fps.

Now obviously a 390 should perform better.... but the 4GB on the 380x definitely gives 4k the edge needed to maintain.

http://imgur.com/a/vKkXZ

Sadly imgur appears to shrunk 8k images down to 4k...

Still the overal quality of the image is phenomenal... one cannot properly appreciate the striking clarity and minute details that wash over one's eyes when looking at 8k material or 4k material compared to 1080p... it's the same dramatic leap that was made from interlaced 480i to 1080p..

9. Calliers

Wow just seeing this, congrats man!

10. IvanV

It came back a bit. I didn't sound like myself, but at least I could talk for the most part. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Mousey

Got into my new flat today, i LOVE it!
    It's got an upstairs which is rather weird for a flat but i love it, The place is really warm, it wasn't cleaned or decorated when we got here so we played hell with the estate agent and they're sending a cleaner round and they'll reimburse me for any paint i buy :)

And by some miracle, i've got internet, even though i haven't activated the new service yet, i just hooked into the wall and there we go, by some miracle, internet XD

Edit - Update on the internet front, turns out it was some "residual bandwith" so tldr I was using the last tenants internet before it got disconnected, getting mine activated today

Edit 2 - Internet's finally up after a lot of telephone wrestling with the ISP, Bed's built (hubba hubba), Furniture's in, I'M ALL MOVED IN AT LAST HOORAH

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Calliers likes this.
  12. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Nice Mousey ☺

13. Calliers

Does anyone else here suffer from dysania? I've been finding it very hard to get out of bed at a decent time these past few months and it has led to me sleeping late in the wee hours of the morning instead of being up during the day time like most people and I would like to stop this and get up sooner than 12 in the afternoon. Even an alarm clock hasn't helped, I just get up and -unplug- it from the wall and continue sleeping.

So far I have found a solution, I have one of my house mates come and badger me when they wake up; by badger I mean do things like place their cold hand on my neck or shake me or something, usually it takes them 3 tries before I finally get out of bed lol.

14. Mousey

Think I've got something similar, I call it a weekday :p

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  15. IvanV

Haha, me too.

The other day, we agreed to come to the office a quarter of an hour early, at 8:45. The colleagues immediately started making jokes about how I'm going to manage.

The next morning, when I stepped into the office, there was cheering and everyone was congratulating one guy. I wasn't sure what was going on, and then they showed me the whiteboard. They made bets (although not with real money :)), together with quotas for each of the four options. The winnings for me showing up at any time before 9:30 were 11:1, followed by 2.x:1 for me showing between 9:30 and 10:00 and the same for between 10:00 and 11:00 (and again 11:1 if I showed up after 11:0AM). And the guy they were all congratulating was the only one who said that I'd actually turn up before 9:30 (I got in at 9:05).

Calliers likes this.
  16. Mousey

Some nifty progress made on the llamaBLOG tonight, implemented a user access control system that allows administrators to lock down sections of the website (the GUI Controls are coming soon it's all database atm), Right now it does stuff like disabling links for users without the correct access;
    [​IMG]

But then i had a dilemma, What if the user's a smartarse and manually types the link to the restricted page? They still get access :O can't be having that!
    Solved the problem with a piece of middleware that operates at the Routing level, so if said smartarse does try to access said restricted page by typing the link in, it boots their sorry arse back to the dashboard and rubs salt in the wound with a nice flash message;
    [​IMG]

Another quick little idea i need to implement for this is an entry into the system log for a failed attempt at accessing a restricted page, possibly even an email notification for the root admin so they can deliver some smackdown if needs be.

Some further increments to this down the line include letting the admin lock down sections of the system without modifying the code or the database which is gonna be a pretty big challenge but i'm sure i'll dream something up :)

Follow my progress on Github if you fancy learning more :)

Edit - Changed the Access Level text field to a drop down now, hurray for ease of use
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Calliers likes this.
  17. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Came into work today in my car. Man, does it feel great!! :D

Tyrsonswood and Calliers like this.
  18. Neshi

Was in a computer store where an employee was helping to put together a computer for a customer. Then I heard him say: "I would strongly advise against getting an AMD videocard because they suck too much power" and then went on to recommend a 550W PSU. I kind of shook my head and wrote the company a message on facebook, asking about this.

I told them that a 550W can power pretty much anything in a single gpu setup, for a modest system it's pretty much overkill (I run my system, i5 4590, 16gb ram, 1 ssd, 1hdd + 280X on 400W). The higher TDP of AMD is negligible on the powerbill on a yearly basis (maybe a couple of coffees at most). To advice one team for the sake of power draw is silly. They should at least explain the difference of features to the customer and let him make an informed decision instead of telling people to go to NVidia.

It's no wonder that AMD sell no cards when computer stores push NVidia through uneducated people's throats.

19. Judas

It's really difficult to get into the heads of these idiots that TDP is NOT actual power usage.... and that for example... a 390 vs a 970... the power difference at their typical expected loads.... is roughly 15-25% average.... which is mostly irrelevant...... and this gap is shrunk considerably if doing COMPUTE workloads.

"But amd runs hotter"... another nonsense and totally WRONG statement frequently uttered by idiots...

"But their drivers are crap".... holy crap what a load of bullshit CANNOT cover it.... Case in point.. look at the recent nvidia driver update that has royally screwed over the nvidia camp...

Not to say that the 7.3 catalyst drivers weren't better....... the fact that both companies have theirs issues.... but it's not difficult to point the finger at either....

Neshi.... i have and would have stepped in and corrected the employee...... i don't tolerate that shit.

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  20. Neshi

Next time I will. My head wasn't in the right space to be arguing at that time.