Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i think i'm still lvl 3 or something.... i really don't understand the point.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

There is no point, just bragging rights. :)

3. Judas

being no point... there is no such thing as bragging rights...

4. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

To sum up the kind of stupidity of the level system; You get a badge each year when it's your account's birthday, and it doesn't count towards your level.
    Literally every other service i use has rewards for long term loyalty. I got £20 in credit for Slack the other day because we'd been using it for 2 years

5. Judas

I think my account is now 12 years old? Personally i find anyone with any kind of excessively high level or any level beyond say 10 .... to have wasted such an incredible amount of their life in time... and potentially in funds as well.

6. Calliers

I wasted funds and time. :p

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Level 22 here. I've traded a few cards, had a bit of fun completing some badges and I've actually earned a few bucks along the way and bought myself an occasional indie title or DLC on sale from the proceedings. :)

Calliers likes this.
  8. Mousey

Bank holiday's been very handy for getting some work done on llamaTORIALS, Got the video player in and a bunch of other features :) Something I am wondering about though is a file storage solution.

My host does block storage at $0.10/GB/Month which is pretty damn good, with no restrictions or limits on HTTP requests (GET/PUT/POST), which is awesome but I'm not sure about the speed and whether it's suitable for a content delivery network.

The other option is Amazon S3 and Cloudfront services that are definitely suitable for building a CDN but the price is pretty high, Best solution would probably be host block storage in the beginning and if demand outstrips supply I'll eat the cost and move to Amazon services :)

It's interesting stuff at every turn right now

Calliers likes this.
  9. IvanV

I really need to find a way to tell my sister to practice for karaoke a little less without hurting her feelings.

10. Judas

any smart "sister" would understand what is being said regardless of how "better" worded it is.... if they think it sounds better, and don't hurt their feelings as much, i question their intelligence.

I have no tolerance at all for beating around the bush and people that are bein

11. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Haven't been on for a while. Been on a two week vacation to Tokyo to begin with and it was just amazing, except for the horrible heat and humidity. After that I've been trying hard to get back to my normal rythm, two weeks of jetlag!

IvanV likes this.
  12. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Its not a common thing to get a chance to ride on a Russian T55 Battle Tank..

IvanV likes this.
  13. IvanV

Seriosly?! That is cool!

14. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Very seriously, there were a war war 2 reinactment and event not to far from I live. Lovely day out it were on Sunday.

And to say that around an hour after my turn for the ride it broke down and were taken off the field for the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

IvanV likes this.
  15. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

So after 2 year's am finally getting Internet at home.. BTC the local telephone company is finally connecting the area where I live, I can't wait. .....:):D

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  16. Mousey

Did a job tonight that's been due for a long while, Finally nuked my web server and started a completely new fresh one, There was so much stuff running on the other server that wasn't being used so it's definately nice to be back on a clean slate :)

All up and running again with some holding pages now :)
    http://llamatorials.com/#/

17. Calliers

So my best friend, who's dad is a billionaire, is starting to receive his money next week. So it does not overwhelm him she is giving him it in chunks and little amounts in between. According to his mum, he has 8-900 million CAD in his name, which is nothing to sneeze at. He and I were talking today and I was happy for him, he was very apologetic that he couldn't give me any (as per his mum's request) but I assured him I am more than happy with my life (heck I don't have to work and all I do all day is play video games, and surf the net lol, my only job which I am shunning right now to catch up on some gaming - and yes I told Stu and MIG, is being a HH news mod). So after a lot of re assuring he was finally convinced that he didn't need to give me anything, but he said if it was up to him he would have given me a couple million. He still hasn't let it go and wants me and him and his mum, who now has total control of the estate (as his dad is in the hospital at this time after having had a bad fall and hit his head :( on top of his alzeihmers getting really bad) to have lunch next of next week and he said he wants to start it off for me but he literally wants me to ask his mum if I can have some of his trust fund or inheritance lol. :D

Edit: Not to mention my dad has a lot of property and a bit of money to his name too, so I am going to receive a considerable inheritance too, although my parents are still young and in good health knock on wood.

Oh and I should add I am the sole beneficiary of one of my friends who is 73 now, he is a good friend and his wife pretty much left him about 20 years ago and turned all his kids against him so he has no one close so he just put me on in his will.

Funny thing about money though, it tends to find two types of people. People who don't care about it at all and people who all they can do before they fall asleep is count their money, heck they probably worry about it and fret and count it in their sleep even.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Cow_160483 likes this.
  18. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Just for lolzz
    [​IMG]

19. Judas

Far too often it's the latter..... though even the former doesn't really care much .... many of them still sit on a fairly high horse.... some do learn to or continue to live frugal... however.

The problem with being "loaned" money from someone else... friend or family.. it doesn't matter.... no matter how much they insist that it's free and clear cash... they will if it suits them at the time, hold it over your head like a guillotine. There are of course exceptions... some of which is giving it all away themselves or investing it for their own gain or just stuffing it in an interest based account.

But i'm very perplexed by a commonality among many of the millionaires... many of them hold onto it or simply start dumping it into property/land/businesses.... Granted land is a asset that easily makes a return provided it's not garbage/wasted/unwanted. However many feel the need to risk it on investments, stocks even.... some of which are assured.... but then few of these people are driving home advancements... or know anything about areas that are worth trillions of dollars that go untouched.

One area is Agriculture.... and sadly it's been beaten into the heads of most people that "there is no money in it"... Meanwhile john deere is selling their combines now for 3/4 of a million per (totally overpriced) but since there is little to no competition in many of these areas.... they refuse to bother.

One facility that is canadian born is Versatile in winnipeg. It was owned and operated for many many years by the creators.... but in the 90's it was picked up by ford.. luckily before john deere could go buy it up (sadly the john deere engineers were in the facility before they managed to get kicked out by the government to prevent a monopoly).

Now the reason i bring this up is the prospect of an electric based farm implement... something that outside of a few tiny little insignificant electric tractors that aren't mass produced in the slightest... mostly just modded and used for simply tasks.... would be a full blown 4 wheel drive large implement based around an electric motor.

This kind of thing is what provided the funding... i would delve into.... and if possible as locally as i could. For example I happen to have a 1981/1982 Versatile 555 4 wheel drive that would be an ideal candidate for being setup with what is currently available for electric motors, which would make life a lot easier to design around.

The disadvantage of electric is that the batteries have weight and and so do the motors... but this is only if you're using it for travel where you don't want it.... it's the complete opposite for heavy duty farm equipment... specially considering the fact that most farm equipment is supplimented by putting weights on so that it can maintain traction, including putting liquid in the tires (some filled right to the top with it). This makes them even better candidates for such a implementation and would gain significantly longer running times.

Doing the math on this for a few years with a few design ideas, it's possible but it lacks financing.... it would be nice to be able to load up the example tractor.... about 20-60,000 dollars cash.... go to the university of saskatchewan in saskatoon... and find students that are taking appriopriate electrical engineering/programing/mechanical engineering and practical design classes/courses and get the university involved in potentially developing a ground breaking solution that would be practical on the farm. If they can get say 16-48 hours out of a single charge on such an implement... with an 8 hour recharge time... these machines would be the ultimate choice.

Another factor in favor of electric is their 100% efficiency, and excell at torque which is all anything everyone would want in a tractor...

An investment into this that can be developed and presented to a manufacturer to use for themselves could result in easy income and world changing effects for dozen if not hundreds of years to come.

Another would be investment into dumping money into nasa's R&D for some of their missions they've like to get involved in... specially the newer telescopes, much of the technology is already done, the largest problem is funding... and with a lack of funding results in major delays for such to exist.... some of which get canceled if delayed too long. I guarantee you if i had won 50 million lottomax.... a solid 10 million would have been dumped into such R&D and whatnot... it's not much but it's definitely something.

VR and Holographics... another area worth investing in... the only issue is finding the right people to talk to while also understanding that you aren't likely to be directly involved.... so placing money in the right places is a difficult task.

In the end it's down to either having a selfish lifestyle where the money is for and is only used for you with the occasional friends.... or if the money is sacrificed with the potential of either mild/or delayed profits/returns or never showing a return for the betterment of life on this planet and for progress going forward. Will it make life easier.. simplify it... give us more freedom/free time.... or would you rather create something that simply makes more jobs for the sake of jobs (which in the end does no one any favors and causes problems down the road since their task is redundant).

20. Calliers

Took my reception of my limited edition ps4 and man oh man does this thing look lit, it looks even better than the Metal Gear Solid limited edition ps4, and it's in my favourite colour too, blue. And I got the wireless headset, and controller - which came with it, to match.