Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

My Nephew has just informed me his son arrived into the world this morning..;)

And that makes me a Great Uncle for a third time... :)

Calliers, CDsDontBurn and Tyrsonswood like this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Contrats! You certainly are boosting your ranks! :) :)

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Thanks man. I'm doing my usual on FB and posting a butt load of memes, lol.

Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MIG-31 and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Congrats my dude. :)

MIG-31 likes this.
  5. CDsDontBurn

My bathtub is almost all the way in. I need to make a few modifications to the drain pipe and then I'd be able to get the last of it in. Then it's onwards to securing copper pipes, waterproofing the insulation / studs, and Hardie Backer installation.

So close, yet so far from this large milestone![​IMG]

Calliers likes this.
  6. IvanV

Apollo 12 was supposed to be televised live and in colour and then one of the astronauts accidentally pointed the camera towards the Sun, frying it.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Still using copper pipes? Also still using galvanized piping for the stacks and drains?

Anything much over 25-35 years for galvanized pipes are due for immediate replacement. This is specially true for drain pipes or even venting. It's amazing how much they will rust/collapse in on themselves and how quickly they'll go from what appears as very solid reliable piping to complete catastrophic failure. A lot of older buildings used them... and it's actually mandated at least here that they be removed and brought up to code immediately in the event that they are exposed enough to allow for their removal.

As for the copper piping.... most these days run pex.... though annoyingly a lot tend to run 1/2" pex which is far smaller diameter than 1/2" standard copper piping. Technically all the pex should be 1" pex..... 3/4" at a minimum... 3/4" pex gives you an ID equivalent to 1/2" copper. However one of the failings of a lot of plumbing work is that for example the hot water heater is designed for a 3/4" ID which means 1" pex is required to run. A lot of the benefits come with running a 3/4" ID of whatever option you go with since balanced pressure and flow rates produce a more even result at the end, which translates to a far better shower/wash experience and if someone uses another sink/toilet in the house, doesn't result in a significant drop in pressure as well as affecting the balance of heat in the outcome (say if someone is taking a shower for example).

A house ran entirely in either 3/4" copper or 1" pex is a fantastic water experience.

But i will add, that they've started adding "copper radiators" to the main line coming into the homes in some places .... though they aren't technically radiators, they are intended to give the water as much copper service area to cover because copper is a natural anti-bacterial and heavy metal collector of sorts, like another form of filter. With the rapid increase in PEX which has really no metal contacting the water throughout, they've found that these places are more likely to build up with algae or something less desirable even with the chlorine content.... it's just that with the proper combination of copper in the line, there is far less need for higher concentration of chlorine among other things and the water quality is greatly improved.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I hate pex plumbing...

*says someone who actually knows how to solder copper pipe*

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  9. Judas

why... why would you hate pex? It's so malleable and easy to manipulate and hook up...

10. CDsDontBurn

Galvanized piping is what I have running inside the concrete slab foundation for my drain pipes. From the few bits of the exposed galvanized piping I've seen, it's all in excellent condition.

My water supply lines are all copper. Soldering copper I found to be incredibly easy to do.

PEX I'll stay away from. I don't trust anything that is that malleable to hold pressure for any long period of time.

11. Judas

That's the problem with galvanized piping... It never looks like it's anything but in excellent condition, it's what has happened to the insides as they tear themselves apart from the inside out rather than outside in... in fact with the old houses we have that uses galvanized piping for both main water supply and sewage, the main water often out survives the sewage due to the material they are holding and the water in a pressured line not providing nearly as much oxidation. Personally having seen the mess of a sewage breaking loose, i'd be more inclined to replace it that the pressured water line, least water cleans up easy.

Considering the pressures and how long pex has been in use... they are capable of significantly higher pressures usually. The connections are bound to be the weakest point, but having tested them under high pressures, they are extremely resilient and specially for on/off resistance. A copper line is more likely to leak/break over time due to the repeated off/on kickback causing metal fatique, thus the malluable pex is able to shoulder that kickback very well and puts no real stress on any of the joints, specially since usually the pex's corners are extremely well built and few in a loop, the gentle curves they provide give far better flow too.

12. IvanV

The best example of protecting the identity of a victim in a newspaper article ever: "Aleksa T. (20), a young footballer playing for Fiorentina". o_O:rolleyes::D

13. CDsDontBurn

In the corporate world, if a computer takes more than 30min to diagnose / repair, we just replace it and take it to get reimaged for later redeployment.

IvanV likes this.
  14. Calliers

If you like the Nissan GTR, this promotional video was shot like a week ago, they're 50th anniversary just passed.

15. CDsDontBurn

* their *

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  16. Calliers

Yes their. :oops:

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Sorry to say over the last year or two, I have got hold of a life and after buying a 50% share into a business which now means I can (afford) & see more of the uk than I used too in the past.

It is so good to take a break from work every so often..

Before that I used to waste my time on the internet...

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  18. Calliers

It's all subjective. I enjoy games and being on the net, more than I enjoy doing other things outside the house, but I do believe that one needs to get out once in a while with friends and alone, just to take a break from one's PC/console.

19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

excellent
    I’ll come back and address certain points

been a tad unwell for a little while, just getting back into it

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  20. Calliers

Sorry to hear that, good to hear you're on the mend though.