Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would never get caught alive with that hairdo.
    Also, I assume this is from the new Dune movie, ....I don't know, but something funny.

To be clear, I was joking about his hair, I have nothing against it.

Calliers likes this.
  3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A client got a nice phishing email sent from my address. This comes a day after another co-worker's email was blocked by a different client for the same thing. We fired a couple of emails at our admin, but God knows where he is. While waiting for him, I compared the headers of the bad and a good email from me and noticed that the bad one also contained data related to our old email server, which may be a clue - the two could have remained somehow linked after the migration and the old domain compromised in the meantime. For now I changed the password and I'll see what happens.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

considering how much emails are spoofed now, old header information is no surprise even if they weren't linked or related in any manner, just simply some spam phishing group pulling old data and using it to try and convince others.

Shit i get emails from myself sometimes. People were frantically trying to change their passwords thinking someone compromised their system when in fact no such thing happened. There wasn't a damn thing that could be done about it since nothing was compromised, just the general harvest of email source data from somewhere, and then used against others.

IvanV likes this.
  5. IvanV

There was an explanation for the header data. The old server is still working and it acts as a security scanner for the new one, so all incoming email goes through it. The phishing email was sent to a client email list that I'm subscribed to, so the message I got was actually sent by their server to us, going through the old server and to the new one.

We all changed our passwords and we'll see what transpires. I know of at least two other co-workers whose addresses were used and the way the emails were sent is slightly worrying. In my case, the phishing email was sent as a reply to a support ticket that I got earlier and I think that it was similar for the others.

6. IvanV

I was googling something Windows related and found a hit on answers.microsoft.com. I clicked the link and got the prompt to enter my MS account password - fine. Then I got a request to verify my identity by entering my phone number and then the SMS code. A bit excessive, but whatever, the code came immediately. Then I had to choose a display name. Seriously, MS?! Ok, I finally found one that wasn't taken, entered that and... I got a request to verify my identity by entering my phone number and then the SMS code, again. What gives?! By this point, I was so annoyed that I entered my phone number incorrectly twice, but I finally managed to jump through that hoop and I was ultimately redirected to... a message saying: "We are sorry... The page you requested is not available at this time."

Is there a user experience survey that I could fill?!

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I would have stopped at the password request... But, that's me.

8. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Same here that sounded quite dodgy

9. Judas

time to change your passwords... under no circumstances are those required on any microsoft answer's page... Sounds like something was injecting.

10. IvanV

I checked the domain the first time it wanted to do a two factor authentication, it really was the MS site. The login itself didn't surprise me too much because I don't deal so much with MS and on the other hand SAP requires you to be logged in for a bunch of things (also, it's not uncommon for their site to ask you to re-enter username and pass 3-4 times in a row). Beyond that, I don't know, now that I think about it more, I am a little worried. I went to answers.microsoft.com from a different PC on a different network and it shows the screen name that I set today.

11. Judas

wait... are you logged into a microsoft account on the computer and the browser? that'll affect things.. one of the reasons i adamently recommend people AVOID creating a bloody microsoft windows based account login. Remain local only.. never sign in with a always online micrsoft login.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  12. Mr Cairo

Asking here as its easier, last couple of days I have noticed a distinct lack of Calliers ....Is he ok or on holiday or something ?

13. Judas

actually not sure... could always @Calliers

Mr Cairo likes this.
  14. Mr Cairo

Did send him a PM he is alive and gaming his heart out.

Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  15. Calliers

LOL!

Well, what happened is two games have taken a hold of my life on a serious note for the past few weeks, those being Forza Horizon 5 (which I play during the day) and Marvel's Avengers (which I play mostly at night into the wee hours with friends as well). So I apologize, for not being around, I am still working on the new site that will be coming in the background but here I have been absent. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Mr Cairo and IvanV like this.
  16. Calliers

Has anyone seen @Tipstaff around lately?

I haven't been paying as much attention to the forums as I used too, but I don't see him posting or liking anymore, reached out to him on Xbox social, he didn't reply me, a little worried right now. :(

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

This is a bait post, isn't it? o_O

Well, it worked. ;)

IvanV, Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  18. Calliers

No I was honestly worried. :)

I can't see straight, right now. I pumped myself up full of energy drinks and have been up over 48 hours so goodnight world, I'm off to bed. Finally. (Wouldn't want to start seeing shit)

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Why not?

20. Calliers

Well can't sleep quite yet, I'll wait till I crash a second time, my body thinks I'm in war or something and need to keep active, I'll get tired again, unfortunately didn't go to sleep as soon as I was tired.

Because I once stayed up for a week (5 or 7 days) and man oh man was it horrible. I thought the CIA was after me, I saw shit, thought dogs were walking people, ended up having a mental break down, eventually. So yes people, max you should ever stay awake at the MOST is 36 hours or so, after that, GET SOME SLEEP.