Randomness Resurected

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dj_stick, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if teleporters were a thing... i might feel more inclined... i'm generally displeased with having to travel 10 minutes let alone consider a trip taking days.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

@Calliers You would have loooved my Friday (and Saturday)! :D

We were supposed to go from Sicily to Rome and then from Rome back to Serbia. So, we got to the airport, checked in, went through all the security, waited a little bit, went to our gate, waited for the boarding to begin and then, 18 minutes before the scheduled takeoff time, the whole room was notified by SMS that the flight was cancelled.

We got out of the airside of the airport to see what were the options, figured out that there weren't many and that we weren't gonna make it to the evening flight from Rome, bought some new tickets, 9PM from Sicily and 9AM the next morning, then we realized that we had to get our checked luggage and were informed that, for that, we needed to go to a specific gate, which meant going through all the security again and then getting out of the airport and around to the entrance so that we could check in to our new flight.

Then, as we were pondering whether we should check in or just wait on the landside (because there was more space there), I saw the ticket confirmation email which said "type of ticket: non-changeable; hand luggage: 8kg; checked baggage: none! I just flipped! I knew I'd chosen the option with the luggage, the tickets were bloody expensive, but without checked baggage useless to us, and if we couldn't get on that plane we weren't going anywhere. I couldn't get support on the phone, so eventually I decided that we should just play dumb and if they really wouldn't take our baggage, I was going to make a fuss (whatever good that would have done) because, as I noticed in the meantime, we were sold freaking business class tickets (probably because there weren't any economy tickets left) and that should mean that we were entitled to two suitcases per person, not one and certainly not zero. Fortunately, the check in went fine except that we learned on the way that our 9PM flight was knocked to 11PM, but at least we also got some meal vouchers because of that.

Anyway, we went through the security for the third time that afternoon and on that same airport (which was definitely a personal record) and the flight finally took off at around 11:30PM. We'd made it to Rome and were already checking out the benches on which we would wait for our 9AM flight when we noticed a lady with a sign saying "TRANSIT", so we walked up to her and, lo and behold, it turned out that they had a hotel reserved for us, with a late dinner, organized transport from and to the airport... Of course, it was not going to be that easy, not on that day, as we waited for the shuttle which normally runs every 15 minutes for over half an hour, after which the lady, who never left our side, made a bunch of calls, got reassured that the shuttle would be there in ten minutes and... nothing. We eventually took a cab, had a big packed dinner (actually, half of it, it was pretty huge, so we ate one and saved the other for the next day), took a shower and slept in a normal bed for a few hours, which was an unexpected delight. :)

The next morning was almost uneventful, the flight took off only an hour late (although that meant that we needn't have hurried and could have also had breakfast at the hotel, but hey) and we finally got home.

Calliers, Mr Cairo and arb65912 like this.
  3. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Wow, quite a story. Thanks for sharing.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  4. IvanV

Now comes the fun part of trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of Wizz Air, because them cancelling 18 minutes before takeoff, without any prior notice that there might be a delay or anything, cost us a pretty penny. BTW, we were originally supposed to fly to Rome by Wizz Air and then to Belgrade with Air Serbia. Air Serbia were such champs that, even though we cancelled a mere 4-5 hours before the flight, they still said that they would give us back around 40% of the fare.

5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

My son and his girlfriend few Wizz Air to the Canaries from Cardiff about 6 weeks ago they also received the SMS at check in telling them of a 2 hour delay, they checked their cases in the standard line even though they had paid for fast check in, got through security and waited a 4 hour delay occurred and they eventually took off after a near 6 hour delay

They inquired about some refund or compensation and so far have been stonewalled about anything, odd thing is Cardiff airport is supposed to be one of the faster Wizz air places as its such a quiet airport

Calliers likes this.
  6. IvanV

We were actually handed a leaflet from Wizz stating that we had a right to a refund plus 250€ per person. The refund for a cancelled flight is easy, you can get it in the app and it says that it will give you 120% of the fare in store credits which you can then convert to 100% of the fare to your account. The other part is more tricky.

There is a form on their website that I managed to find via google which should be used for compensation requests. I tried filling it for both of us and it said that I needed legal appointment (forgot the right term) from my co-passenger to represent them, and when I tried to fill it just for myself, as soon as I entered the flight it said something like "it looks like you are entitled to a refund", but no word about the 250€, although there is a free text field where you enter the details, so I guess that that's where you make the request.

I was thinking about handing the matter over to some of those online agencies which seem to have a good track record. I was fiddling with one of them and they said that I did indeed have the right to the 250€ compensation. The thing is that those agencies, in case the airline refuses, also sue the company, as the compensation is mandated by the law. They don't ask for money up front, but they do take a cut afterwards, the one I was looking at charges 25%.

Ok, I found the paper they handed us. For delays, they only say that they provide refreshments, drinks, two phone calls, hotel if it's moved for another day and, if it's more than 5 hours, that you can cancel and get a refund. I do think that your son should be entitled to more, but I am not sure, it's worth investigating.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Like you he is finding some loopholes and hurdles at most turns even though its seems as if its quite straightforward its proving not to be,

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

All I can say is once I get back to Canada I'm not flying anywhere for at least a year, the 13 hour flight from Addis to Toronto. Omg, that flight is long and boring af. I mean, I'm not the type to watch in flight movies on that small ass screen so basically I just listen to music and sleep lol. But at least Air Ethiopia which has been the best African airline for the past 3 years gives you lots of food and the air hostesses are really nice. Both to look at and to talk to.

Mr Cairo, IvanV and arb65912 like this.
  9. arb65912

Yes, flights suck, the long ones for sure. And boring af as you said as well. ;-)

Did you get a flight attendant girlfriend yet? :D

10. Calliers

Ha, I have had one in the past but I'm currently single. :)

arb65912 likes this.
  11. arb65912

Than better satay single or you will not have time ... lol,lol,lol. Enjoy everything, buddy!!

Calliers likes this.
  12. Calliers

Ty. I will. The single life has it's advantages yes. :)

arb65912 likes this.
  13. IvanV

One of the roots on a tooth where I had root canal a few years ago decided to start acting up. It's hard to describe, it's not that it hurts too much, but I feel... essentially I feel incredibly sick and tired. No temp. Saw the dentist today, they opened the suspicious root and gave me a bunch of antibiotics (well, two of them) and said that I should start feeling better tomorrow.

Side note: I have an important interview tomorrow that decides if a large company is going to pick us for a job. I'm supposed to be studying a little bit (they know that we don't have real first hand experience with the exact tool, but we've done similar things for the past few years and also are somewhat familiar with the package and we should show that tomorrow). I'm typing this by looking at the keyboard, as reading from a screen has been tough. Still, I do feel slightly better after an afternoon nap.

14. Calliers

Oh my, I hope all goes well.

15. IvanV

39.1°C :confused:

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

one of the reasons the dentist that developed the root canal later insisted it should never be performed... tons of people have lingering illnesses or elevated white blood counts showing a possible sign of infection that isn't ever clear.

17. IvanV

My in-laws are clearing up their attic. Apparently, they're billionaires!

IMG_20220924_185253-1.jpg

18. Mr Cairo

Have never understood why some countries have such high denominations on the banknote so high that even a packet of chewing gum costs like 10,000,000, I mean what is wrong with the 1 and 5 and 10 etc.

19. Calliers

It's due to inflation, the central bank can not just magically give the money value again should it lose value against stronger currencies short of cooking the books or a total reset which would result in the rich losing a lot of money, it's called hyper inflation and it is a royal bitch.

Mr Cairo and IvanV like this.
  20. IvanV

Yup, sums it up nicely. Of course, after a while, they slash a few zeros, but then it just starts all over again. Apparently we binned a very nice bundle of hyperinflation money that we were keeping at our old place, which is too bad, it was a nice little memento of that period. :/

EDIT: Pic unrelated, I saw this old calculator in retro ads. I wonder if its related to the Logitech that we all know and love. The list of old Logitech logos that I could find suggests that it's not, although the emblem is similar to the one they used from '81 to '85. I don't know that they ever wrote their name in cursive, though.

upload_2022-9-26_21-17-58.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM