RE: CL and kx drivers installed at the same time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arwel, Apr 14, 2005.

1. arwel

arwel New Member

Actually this is a really good question. Is it possible to set up two hardware profiles, one with CL drivers for games and one with kx driver for audio? or are there clashes with DLL's or something?

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I tried that and it didn't work. It was a while ago so I do not remember exactly why, I only remember that it did not work.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: I think I did the Creative drivers first and saved the hardware profile and then installed kX and saved that hadrware profile as well. kX worked fine (no DLL conflicts or anything), but switching back to the CL profile did not work (again I do not remember why).

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thinking back, I think one of the problems might have been that kX overwrote one or more of the Creative dll's. I remember thinking that I could get it to work if I really wanted to, but it was more complicated then just a simply switching profiles.

5. arwel

arwel New Member

if its just a problem of kx replacing DLL's then it should be possible just to install them in different folders?, and make copies of all the CL files first in case of deletions.

6. BODYPRINT

BODYPRINT New Member

The problem with Hardware profiles is that they do not allow different drivers for the same hardware, they only allow you to decide which hardware is enabled/disabled in each profile.
    I installed the kX drivers first, changed profiles and installed the CL drivers. When I went back to the kX profile, the CL drivers still came up.

I worked around this because I had a second Audigy 2 card as a spare. I installed the kX Drivers first, which installed on both cards.
    I then un-compressed the latest CL drivers to my desktop.
    Then in Hardware Manager, I updated the drivers for the second card and located to the CL drivers. Worked a charm. I now have the digital output from the CL card going into the CD digital in on my kX card.

All my games etc use the CL drivers, but the sound still comes out my kX card through the digital. And I still have my kX card with the LiveDrive for my music.

[edit]
    Here is a piccy that might help explain...
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~pmerwarth/kx/drivers.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005