Ready to install new video card(Almost)

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by moonwolf, Apr 19, 2007.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf New Member

In the settings of DC Cleaner.NET under Search >> Directories , what should I put in when running DC Cleaner.net? Right now it says C\Windows (Default Directory). Shouldn't I put just C\ so I can make sure all my files are searched? I believe there may be drivers associated with my Nvida 6150LE display adapter scattered throughout my PC. ( When I was new to this computer and downloading drivers, I can't remember where they got sent to). I'm just about ready to install my EVGA 7900GS card, and I want to make sure I'm getting everything right.

While I'm at it I have a few more questions. I've got HP's manual on how they recommend adding a new card.

1st: Go into Device manager under Display adapters and choose Uninstall. Close programs,and shut down computer.

2nd:Install new card

3rd: Then they say upon boot-up go into Bios and disable on-board video(my integrated 6150le).

That's where I have another question. When I go into the advanced tab in BIOS (under Primary Video Adapter) I'm given 3 choices. Onboard, PCI, or PCI-E. I'm assuming I choose PCI-E, because that's where the new card will reside. But at this moment, even though my PC has been using the onboard video all along, My BIOS has PCI checked. Maybe this is nothing, but just want to make sure I'm supposed to check PCI-E after new install. Then HP says to save and exit BIOS. After that, I guess I'll be prompted to insert my new card's CD to get the ball rolling.

I hope that I can get some quick help. My open computer case is staring back at me with a virgin PCI-E slot, and I can't wait to bring her home tonight![​IMG]

2. moonwolf

moonwolf New Member

Removed reply

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  3. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

i have forwarded your email to change your username. So that should be fixed.

in the BIOS under Primary Video Adapter select PCI-E. That is just an indication for the motherboard where it should look first for the videocard. Also most times by motherboards when you install a new videocard the onboard one will be disabled automatic.

By Search >> Directories you can add c:\ if you want, but remember that the cleaning can take longer, but you can be sure then that all is searched.

What you can do for the steps is

1st: Go into Device manager under Display adapters and choose Uninstall. Close programs,and shut down computer.

2nd: Install new card

3rd: Then upon boot-up go into Bios and disable on-board video

4th: Go to windows safe mode and run Driver Cleaner. Select nVidia as filter and start the cleaning. See the help file for how to get into safemode.

5th: reboot the system and install the drivers.

If you have more questions please ask.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf New Member

Thanks Spike. After I exit the BIOS though, won't windows ask me to install CD for new card?( according to HP's documentation, it might) If it does, should I ignore, find out how to boot into safe mode, then do as you suggested?

5. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

if you go into safe mode it is possible windows asks for the cd, if it does just cancel that.

if you can't get into safe mode then you can also boot your system to windows. If it asks for a new driver then cancel that and run Driver Cleaner and select nVidia. After that reboot the system.

After the reboot and you are in normal windows insert the cd from the videocard and the setup should start. Then you can continue that.