Real time recording vs. exporting. Different?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eljorgep, May 14, 2011.

1. eljorgep

eljorgep New Member

I am a recording engineer and use a KX 10K (3539) 5.1 SB0220 live! card. I really like this system and sounds perfect in my studio. It's outside the studio that worries me; my songs don't translate well on different audio gear. I have worked out all the acoustic issues in the control room so I'm quite confident with that aspect. Question, does the sound card with the KX driver enhance the sound during reproduccion?
    I use a very capable DAW package that exports the final mixes to a wav files wich ultimately get burned onto CDs. But, like I mentioned before, the CD's sound different even when played back through the same monitors. So I set out to perform a little experiment, I recorded the final mix in real time onto a stereo track with the exact characteristics I used when exporting. The resulting mix sounded different as the exported wav file. Why? Does the sound card interpret the files in a different way than does the burning software (Nero)?
    Help please,

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

It's probably Nero....... try several different burning software programs and I bet you come up with different sound from all of them. Just my 2 cents.

3. eljorgep

eljorgep New Member

thank tou tyrsonswood, will do.

4. peate

peate Active Member

I would also try burning at a slower speed, it might help. Or "burn" it to a folder first and check it again before committing to disc.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Which DAW are you using? You know Reaper DAW can burn a CD directly in the program.... May eliminate the exporting deal and the changes found in different burning softwares, I get great quality CDs from Reaper.

6. eljorgep

eljorgep New Member

Thanx again trysonwood, I use only Reaper and ocasionaly Audition for mastering. I didn't know Reaper could burn to CD's. I will definetly give it a try and see the results. What a great tip!!