Realtime VST or DX Effects

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by ROBSCIX, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Hey, I use DX alot in my recording..I don't use that much VST though. I know alot of guys here do. I use KX to add effects to my guitar in real time..just for experiments..IS it possible to get realtime VST?..using kristal I heard of?..I HAve been working on realtime DX but it's tricky..any ideas guys?...I would like to be able to use some of my beeter plugins in realtime with my guitar...Thx for the help

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Not realtime as with hardware based effects (i.e. in kX), but very close using kX and ASIO. Actual performance would depend on your system. Give Kristal a try, and adjust the settings in kX's Asio Control Panel to try and get the lowest possible latency with your system and see how it works for you.

3. BODYPRINT

BODYPRINT New Member

I use FLStudio and kX asio for 5ms realtime vocal effects in my live performance.

I use a 3.2G p4.

If you want to see my setup, let me know.

4. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

LOL,..VST/ASIO Technologie is practicly all about 'near realtime' audio processing!
    (It out performs dx in that respect)
    Moreover, to musicians, kX's ASIO driver is one of it's most important feature to begin with!

I can't believe you've never heard of VST/ASIO stuff like NI Guitar Rig etc. etc. (since you are a guitarist I mean)

/LeMury

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Yeah I know about guitar rig..etc.... Is their a program such as NI guitar rig..that will allow me to use effect I have real time...I can't use Guitar rig.
    I think guys are getting mixed up with what I am trying to accomplish OR I am not explaining it correctly. I wan't to be able to add effects to the line in on the sound card. So what ever signal is coming thorugh the line has effects applied to it and can be heard through the speakers...I have been messing around with the effects in KX..pretty cool...I can do that ok.. SO does that clear it up?..thx for the info

6. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

Yeah--I use Cubase SX for my live effects, and it's awesome. It has tons of built-in effects, parametric EQ (though high-shelving EQs don't work right) and everything else I've ever needed... except the compander, but I got that through kX :)

Latency is very small... it's not related to the latency listed in the kX control panel, except that if you set it too low, the sound will skip... but if you set the latency to 10ms, in my experience, the sound still comes through in very nearly realtime. I have not measured yet what the latency is...

7. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

There are a couple of free ASIO hosts out there that should enable you to use VST effects on you're line in in realtime without loading up a sequencer if that's what you're after. Go to kvr-vst.com and have a look around.
    A couple that I can remember are Spinaudio AsioFXProcessor and Tobybear's Minihost.
    Check here. http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=q&s=11

8. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

ROBSCIX:

Was wondering if you know that using DX/VST effects in real time is easily done with a Sequencer? Just add the DX/VST to the FX bin (or equivalent) of an audio track. Are you trying to do this with a sequencer or not?

Not long ago, I was wondering how to add kX effects to a DXi/VSTi in a sequencer. One way that's done is by inserting the effect between MX6 and the ASIO ProFX Plugin (or adding an effect to the MX6 Send Busses). As an ASIO output is selected as the DXi/VSTi track output.

Here's a thread that may help you out if you want to look at it: http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=76028

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  9. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

Yes. What you want is to apply 'realtime' VST fx to Line-In, and hear the result through your speakers. Right?

Setup and routing is basicly;

Line-In -> AsioRec -> [any VST Host + VST fx] -> FXbuss -> FrontSpeakers

(between braces is VST Software, anything else is kX DSP)

As already mentioned, VST-plugins need a VST-Host to run in.
    NI's Guitar Rig and alike can operate 'standalone' which basicly means that it uses it's own build-in VST Host. Other then that it's the same as using any VST Host + VST fx.

/LeMury

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Yeah, you got it...I want to listen to the results of the effects RIGHT away..IF I strum a chord and I have effects enabled I want to hear it NOW....But I think I can get it now from the info you guys have provided..thx to the KEZRETURNS..that spinaudio one is what I was looking for thankyou..DO you know of one that will work with DX?..or VST has better latency though correct?..I guess I could just use a DX to VST wrapper though..correct?