Recommendation for a VDSL/ADSL2+ modem

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SeanPatrick, Sep 17, 2014.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Hey all, I'm about to upgrade to a faster VDSL service through ACANAC here in Toronto. Up until last month they forced you to buy from them but now for whatever reason you can buy your own. I've been searching around and have found precious few VDSL/ADSL2+ modems for sale. The one they're selling is the SMART RG505 modem - http://www.acanac.ca/ontario.html - but I haven't really found any others that I can get instead. Should I just suck it up and spend the 99 for the modem they're offering or can I find something better? Cheers! Thanks!

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I would say get Asus DSL-N66U. I have one and man it's nice. And the software is simple to use. And the FW gets updates and new features. There is 3/4G USB modem support in the works etc...

3. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like a great modem - but it's a little too rich for my blood clocking in at 250+ Canadian. I wound up just going with Acanac's Smart 505n router for $99 - as other then those two I couldn't find any alternatives.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah good router ain't cheap. I paid around 160€ for that in here. But it works fine. And I'm the only one in my neighborhood to have 5 GHz WLAN