Recommendations for motherboards having native support for Win 7

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Senex, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Senex

Senex New Member

Looking for ones compatible with i7 (probably 3rd to 5th generation), VGA port, minimum 16GB RAM capacity, with as many PCIe 1+ slots and SATA connectors as possible. I'll be using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

That's going to be tuff to narrow down. 3rd gen Intel is socket 1155, 4th gen socket 1150, and 5th gen, with the exception of the 5775, were LGA 2011. You're going to need to be a bit specific for the CPU.

As for getting a board that supports those sockets, shouldn't be a problem. Best bet would be to look on Newegg. Since the boards are mostly discontinued by the name brands like Asus and the like the boards of theirs that would be in stock will probably cost you above $100, even $150. Newer boards are usually produced by smaller, usually noname companies (like WPIT, or Huananzhi), mainly Chinese imports. To keep them cheap they usually don't have VGA ports, only HDMI or Display Port.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

IF you happen to be looking for anything at all more recent

Having setup and installed windows 7 on a Ryzen 3600 on a B450/x470 board. The only requirement is that you have a PS/2 keyboard/mouse and suitable board with port otherwise native usb 2.0 ports (i've a pci-ex 1x to 4x usb 2.0 addin card that i use for testing and is sufficient).

Windows 7 will boot from optical drive fine, install windows fine and everything including is supported with chipset. The only reason you need suitable usb 2.0 is because windows 7 doesn't natively support usb 3.0 and unlike previous chipsets that actually had native usb 2.0 functionality, modern boards don't.

4. Senex

Senex New Member

No problem. I'm doing what research I can. Since posting this I've made some progress. I'm focused on the i7-4790k. It looks to be the best I can get, without fooling with the workarounds required by parts not having native support for Win 7. Definitely do not want to fool with that. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'm thinking i7-4790k. I also made a little progress on motherboards:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 *
    MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming *
    MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming *
    MSI Z97-G45 *
    MSI Z97A Gaming 6 *

These were chosen because they have native support for Win 7 (so far as I can tell), minimum 16 GB RAM capacity, VGA port, and the most expansion slots and SATA connectors I could find. I've not gone through the user reviews yet to weed out the lemons, and my research was limited to a couple hours, so I may of missed some contestants.

Finding legacy parts is not a big problem, as I have a lot of sources. It's mostly just a waiting game. Of course legacy does cost more as their popularity increases. Fifteen years ago components was priced like army surplus!

Edit: I have filtered out some of the motherboards, and will be focusing on the remaining. If anyone has a favorite, and don't mind saying why, let me know. All seem pretty much equal to me, so lacking further input, I'll buy the first one I find.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  5. Senex

Senex New Member

I think I'll stick with the native support that comes with a legacy build. Not too keen to go jumping through hoops to get it to work with Win 7. Too many 'horror stories' on other forums for me to fool with it. I'll stick with the KISS principle. I can easily live without the 'latest & greatest', and have been for a long time.

Been using a OptiPlex 960 XP Pro rig for over three years now, and will be retiring it for another used PC I got off eBay soon (OptiPlex 7010 Win 7 Pro). I'm hoping the 7010 will last til I can finish this build. Used PCs from this source usually last 3-4 years, which should be plenty of time to track down the legacy parts, pack it all off to the computer shop, and have it done up proper.