Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by reno, Jun 19, 2002.

1. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

1) The Antec 1080B SOHO case, oh my god, with my Full ATX P4 mobo, 2 harddrives, 2 cd/dvd drives, and 8 80mm case fans this thing is just slightly louder than my other computer with only two 80mm fans, 1 drive, 1 cd drive. Not only that, but the PSU is 430 watts and NEVER has dipped below .02 above specced voltages in over 40-50 hours of morrowind and jedi outcast. It looks awesome, has beautiful, copious amounts of space, is well organized, heavy, and just plain expensive feeling. AGH! EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE THIS CASE!

Temps with old aluminum case and 320watt PSU (same equipment loadout, 2 less fans): 23C-24C Case, 28C-47C Processor

Temps with new Antec 1080b: 18C-25C (three of the fans are thermally controlled, coincidentally kick in at 25C, this explains the higher temp, although not under load it reverts back to around 20-21C), 26C-43C Processor. Plus, an 80mm fan blows directly on my two HDDs and they never become even warm to the touch (both 7200rpm WD drives) even when running HDTach.

2) The western digital special edition drives. Whoo! I had an 80GB I had to return because the damn Office max guy dropped it and it made a strange spinning up sound constantly, but before I returned it, 85MB burst, 46MB sequential write/45MB read, 15MB random write/16MB read, 12.2ms average seek time-4.2ms rotational latancy=8ms seek times. Plus quiet (except for the whoosh sound of the broken drive), and not warm at all. Only problems with the drive that was dropped from about 3feet in the air was that the middle and end of the drives had HORRIBLE read/write rates (my 40gb didn't have this problem and the rest of the drive was above 40 until the end of drive anyway) but I'm sure it was just 3 of the heads being screwed up. Made a clunking sound if you lightly lifted it up and down. hehe.

-end recommendations-

2. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I'm sooo gonna buy that case in 2 weeks, the exact one, it looks sooo sweet. Great to hear about good temps with it, can't wait to have it.

I already have a normal WD 80GB HD, so no need for the other one, hehe.