Recommended Gaming Tweaks?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by zenkmander, May 29, 2005.

1. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica] Before I start, I just wanna clarify that I didn't know which board to post this on. This one seemed the most logical.

Anyway, I was wondering what tweaks should be made with XP in order to get the most performance out of games? I've read a bunch of guides, and have disabled DEP (Data Execution Prevention), disabled a bunch of unimportant services, and so on. I'm hoping someone can post a general list of well-known tweaks; I've probably done most of them, but I wanna make sure I get 'em all. Thanks.
    [/font]

2. e v o

e v o New Member

try tunexp

check services/programs running in the background
    msconfig>services>'hide microsoft services' disable via services.msc

Make sure you're spyware free. Ad-ware SE 1.06 + spybot usually works

I like to reformat everything every few months. But for some thats out of the question

Ben

3. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

Defrag very often, it's nice to constantly have great speed all of the time.

4. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Yep, I use TuneXP and I've just finished reformatting. I've noticed that some of the settings on TuneXP actually hinder performance; can someone make a list of the ones that are particularly good for gaming?

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Is there a way to turn off DEP besides choosing the second option for choosing individual programs, and then not choosing any programs?

or is there a service to shut off- I am sort of new to SP2-

6. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Yep. Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery. Then click that Edit button and it'll open up boot.ini. Under operating systems should be Windows XP or whatever. Scroll all the way to the right and it should say /fastdetect and then /noexecute something. Change the /noexecute to /noexecute=AlwaysOff and save. Make sure not to change ANYTHING else or you might screw everything up. ;)

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Mine is like this now--

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

does that ONLY control DEP? If so I guess I change the OptOut to AlwaysOff correct?

8. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Correct. Reboot afterwards, then check the DEP tab again and it should be faded out. If not, repeat the process. For some reason boot.ini replaces itself. ;)

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

k- I will try it.

EDIT- yup, grayed out now.

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  10. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

11. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

I use Winxp Manager or Tweakxp, there are settings to optimise your CPU type, cache, memory, hard drive caching and lots more.

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

That I can:

'Memory and file system' - do the 4th through the 7th options. When you get the time run the 9th, 10th, and 12th options (the last one will take some time to complete, so be sure to leave it be until it finishes).

'Hardware' - do the 2nd, 3rd, 4th option, and if you are using an older board, or one based on an AMD chipset do the 1rst.

-Tip

13. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Thanks a bunch. [​IMG] Anyone else have a different list?

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I just did what tipstaff said- seemed to speed things up a bit. This is a relatively new SP2 install and haven't done any of those particular tweaks yet on this install.

Worked out well.

15. bake15

bake15 New Member

does disabling DEP increase performance?

16. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Not much really. Unless the system is low on RAM (a good gaming machine should have 1GB today) then it could help in gaming to turn of unnecessary services just to get a little more free RAM. What I mean to say that in general gaming performance doesn't hurt from having these extra services running, as for instance even the indexing service should not start running while you are playing a game. That said I like turning off unecessary services for the principle of not needing them, but it doesn't really help gaming performance. And of other system tweaks helping games I'm doubtful, unless the system is having actual issues that could be helped by some specific tweak.

A few badly coded applications can experience difficulties with DEP on but those who don't will not run faster without it.

17. franguinho

franguinho Brazilian Fool

is it safe to disable DEP? and what kind of performance increase can i expect??

18. Vyrticl

Vyrticl New Member

Check out the Whistling Cricket Windows XP Tweaking guide I made. I've searched around finding tweaks and have done extensive research as well to make sure the tweaks are valid. You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

Tweaks in general help by reducing the amount of RAM your computer uses, improve file system performance, increase security, help with maintaing your computer, and get rid of annoying stuff. Tweaking your BIOS and overlclocking are pretty much the only real way to get more out of your computer. Even then unless something is misconfigured you won't see a whole lot of a difference.

For the most part there's not a whole lot you can do to get more out of your computer than it's truly capable of. Have you ever tried reformatting your computer and just installing a game on it and playing the game? It runs super fast because your computer is free of clutter, spyware, adware, and other crap that accumulates on your computer over time. The best thing you can do to keep your computer running like a fresh reformat is to keep your computer clean of crap and make sure your computer is defragmented. This can be accomplished by CCleaner, PageDefrag, NTREGOPT, and the built-in Windows disk defragmenter.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Actually for me games run just as good on a three yr old install. Mainly because I do keep the crap out..

20. Vyrticl

Vyrticl New Member

Yup, that's exactly why I said keep the crap out to keep your computer running fast.

*EDIT*
    I did go back and read my post and realized how you could've interpreted what I said as meaning you could never get back to fresh reformat performance, so I went ahead and reworded it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005