Recommended Gaming Tweaks?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by zenkmander, May 29, 2005.

1. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Hey Vyrticl. I read your post on another forum, but I completely forget which one. I checked out your website yesterday and added the tweaks that seemed beneficial to me. I really like the setup you have, along with the mere simplicity of it all. Thanks. :)

2. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

I have a major problem! I decided to run PageDefrag last night for the first time. So, I opened it, set it clean on the next boot, then shut off my computer and went to bed. I woke up this morning, turned my computer on, and the monitor won't work! It doesn't detect the video cable, which means there's no way for me to get into safe mode or even the BIOS. I also tested with a backup monitor of mine and it too can't detect the video cable. And I even switched the connector between my video card and the onboard video of my motherboard. Nothing.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please tell me! And if you're going to say to format, that's kinda hard when I can't even see the screen. Or if you say to boot from a CD, I can't do that either. Nothing shows. And I can't find any support information on PageDefrag, either. :tears:

3. UnTouchAble

UnTouchAble New Member

It doesnt seem to be related to Page Defrag, check it with a difrent gfx card.

4. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Dunno if you missed it, but I said I tested it with my video card AND the onboard video, and neither worked. That's what led me to believe that it's a software problem, and PageDefrag is the only possible suspect.

5. Vyrticl

Vyrticl New Member

PageDefrag only defragments your registry and paging file on your hard drive. Those don't even load up until Windows starts to load. So if your monitor doesn't even turn on before Windows loads, it's either a problem with your video card or monitor. Have you tried unplugging the power to the monitor for about 10 seconds? Also have you tried using a different monitor if possible?

6. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Yes. I have used three different monitors, and none of them work. I tested it with two different graphics cards and the onboard video, and nothing. Since PageDefrag is the only program I set to run at reboot, other than the standard stuff, I can't find anything else to blame. I literally took my computer apart and replaced my PSU, video card, etc. and none of it did anything. I even unplugged my harddrive. I eventually put my old motherboard back in - an annoying task, I must say - and I got into BIOS, thankfully. This leads me to believe my motherboard is at fault, but I can't find any reason why. Sure, I overclocked my CPU, but it's been stable for weeks, and the temperature never went above 45 C under heavy load.

Then again, I disabled the USB devices in Device Manager, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Perhaps the USB controllers? Even still, that shouldn't do anything unless I'm actually in Windows, you know? And unplugging my HD would've fixed that anyway. I spent hours trying to figure out what happened with my monitor/computer, and I've found nothing. The only thing I know is that it's related to my motherboard; I'm pretty close to just saving up for a brand new one, but since I'm a jobless student, that'll take some time.

At the moment, I'm on my brother's laptop. Definitely better than nothing, but it's obviously temporary.

7. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Oh, and on the topic of my motherboard, I've set CMOS to factory settings several times, and it made no difference. The only other thing I can think of is to take the BIOS battery out for ten seconds and put it back in, but will that have any effect at all?

8. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Okay, I did some more testing. I powered on my computer with only the PSU, motherboard, and CPU connected. No RAM, no video card, no sound card, no HD or CD/DVD-ROM. Oddly enough, I heard no beeping whatsoever, which indicates that perhaps my motherboard doesn't even detect the the memory slots (and very possibly the video slots as well, including onboard). This really has me worried. I'm deciding now to get a new motherboard. At this point, I doubt there's anything I can do.

9. Vyrticl

Vyrticl New Member

That sounds a bit like a CPU problem. I remember putting one of my first computers together and finally got it all together, turned it on and nothing. I checked everything. I finally took the CPU out and put it back in and fixed it. It seems the first time I didn't get the CPU quite in all the way. You might try reseating the CPU to see if it somehow came loose or something.

You also might want to start a new topic on this since it is getting a bit off-topic of the thread topic :)

10. zenkmander

zenkmander New Member

Everything spins properly, and the little lever closes all the way without resistance. I'm pretty sure I got it in right. ;) And alright, I understand. It'd be a pain combining all of this and reposting it, especially since I'm on a mouseless laptop. Thanks for all the help, in any case.

11. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

CCleaner (crap cleaner) brought life back to my framerates. nfsu2 was struggling then i ran crap cleaner and the framerates were back to normal. even ut2004 runs better. i keep my system clean as possible, get rid of spyware, dont run any anti-virus or firewall apps and performance will be great.

since many FPS games use Unreal Warfare (UT2003) and Quake 3 engines, the tweaks are the same most of the time. so if u wanna push more ram, uncap fps, boost details etc. they are the same console commands and config files. if you can tweak those games, you can tweak a bunch others (ie splinter cell) and get good performance/quality boosts and balances yourself.

driver updates are pretty obvious and if your system is new sometimes over a few months when you reformatted 2-3 times (let's say 6 months down the road) ive noticed games to run better. hell when i had this system at first i scored only 12 100 something on 3dmark 01, my latest score was 15 000+. updated omega drivers, tweaks and time you have your system it handles stuff better. i dont know how time works, but im not kidding games do run better now then they did then. no massive performance increases have been implemented in the drivers also.

12. DamentZ

DamentZ damentz.dontexist.net

Copy and paste the following into a txt file and rename it something.reg and run it.

-----
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
    "AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000002
    "AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
    "Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:0000002a
    -----

basically with this, your giving 3x the priority to the foreground application such as whatever game your playing, and your adding 4 threads to put other applications running on to smoothen the gameplay

13. UnTouchAble

UnTouchAble New Member

Is this safe thou?