Recording wave

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by RetroPhuture, Aug 8, 2007.

1. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Hi.

I'm trying to record wave with a Audition (ASIO enabled). No matter what input I set or if I turn anything in mixer or AC97 input I can't record wave. Is this because I need an ASIO enabled sound player or do I need to change my DSP or something else? I can record mic input with WDM and ASIO, but no wave. And I have put Wave Rec Level to max ofc.

2. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

I just tried outputing sound from FL Studio and record it with Auditon; no luck, so I take it that I don't need an ASIO enabled player.

3. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Ok so I did a little poking here and there and I understand that I can simply connect stereo outputs to ASIO inputs and record.

But what I don't understand is why can't I record any wave when AC97 is in StereoMix mode; the manual says that ALL inputs are then mixed WITH Wave sound which is not working for me. Wave is only mixed when Wave Rec level is up, but that is independant of whether I put StereoMix or any other input in AC97; it is "what I hear", not what is coming out of AC97.

It's getting kinda boring replying to myself :)

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

lol :rofl:

IIRC, Stereo Mix takes its wave input from the signal that is sent to the Analog Front output (i.e. What you hear), so my guess would be that you are not sending any audio to the Analog Front out.

Additionally, to record Wave audio (non-ASIO) with the default DSP config, you need to adjust the Wave Recording Level slider on the Recording page of kxmixer, and the wave output (that you want to record) should use kX Wave 0/1 (or ASIO 0/1) for playback.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  5. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

I am sending signal to Analog Front, I wouldn't hear any sound otherwise.

I did play with DSP tho and figured out how things work :)

Wave Rec is controlled in xrouter and is sent through Rec L and R to card outputs. Since in default DSP Rec L and R from xrouter or Wave coming directly from xbus or some other source is not connected to any ASIO inputs thats why I couldn't record any wave.

I connected Rec L and R to ASIO and now I can record Wave (tho I would like to know if this adds latency; is it better to connect from fxbus directly to ASIO?) Also I found out that simply adding another ASIO outputs and connecting them directly to ASIO inputs works great in order to record ASIO to ASIO.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well kX swaps front and rear by default, so the above would depend on if that option is enabled and how your speakers are connected.

Wave Recording enters xrouting via the WaveL/WaveR inputs which are connected to FxBus 0/1 by default (thus kX Wave 0/1, ASIO 0/1). xrouting applies the Wave Recording Level (Recording page of kxmixer) and then mixes the signal together with any other sources that are enabled and outputs it via RecL/RecR.

xrouting info

What version of kX are you using? On my card RecL/RecR (xrouting) are connected to ASIO 4/5 by default (as well as RecL/RecR of epilog). I think with most cards it is connected to ASIO 0/1 (again in addition to RecL/RecR). In any case, yes, if it is not connected to the ASIO pins of epilog, then you cannot record it using ASIO.

No that does not add latency. Either way will work fine, but when Recording using MME (RecL/RecR of epilog), it is not good to connect FxBus directly (known issue).

7. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

I have the latest version found on site .3537. And just checked and only prolog is connected to ASIO inputs. And tnx for pointing out about that Rec issue.

Anyhow I have made an entirely new DSP to my liking.

Also I found out one peculiar thing; If you route directly ASIO output to Rec on Epilog, you can't record sound with MME (at least not in TeamSpeak). If you do the same thing on k2lt you can use one of the ports to record to MME directly from ASIO. Also you can use the normal Epilog but if you want to record ASIO with MME you need the Src plugin simply set to ASIO and connected to Rec.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The latest version is 3538m.

Yeah, that is related to the issue I mentioned about connecting FxBus (ASIO) directly to RecL/RecR (MME) on epilog. If you stick a plugin in between (i.e. Stereo Volume or whatever) it will work (or you can you ProFx plugins instead (as you noticed)).

9. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Yes I downloaded 3538m moments ago + added latest ProFX that has ADC instead AC97 plugin that has some GUI problems.

Well my problems considering recording are solved :)

Tho I wonder what is the difference between fxbus, fxbusx, fxbus32 (is this always 16 bit or what?)

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Only the bundled ProFx version has the bugs, the latest version does not, so make sure you really have (and registered) the latest version of ProFx.

I do not have a 10k2 card, so I have never used those other Fxbus plugins and do not know a lot about them. I have seen info in the forum about it, so if you do a search you might be able to find the answer yourself.