Recover Files from a corrupted SD card?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm quite upset about this and hope I can retrieve at least some photos from my SD card that was in my Galaxy S5. It's a 16 GB card that, for some reason, appears to have gotten corrupted during a Security Update to the phone.

I've placed it in my USB card reader and the message I get is that it needs to be formatted. Somewhere around here I have a very good recovery disk. Sadly, though, during our move, it's become AWOL. I hope to find it soon. BUT, in the meantime, has anyone had a similar experience and also had some luck recovering some files from a SD card?

2. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Try Transcend RecoveRx, I've been using it for some time and it works well. Unless the card is completely dead it should be able to get the files back.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Do you frequently remove the card and insert it into another reader as a means of transfering?

If so, why do you do this, why aren't you using the cable? You do know that frequent removal/insertion of any of the flash media runs a growing risk of failure and corruption...

The only people i know that have ever had corrupted media... an insanely huge majority (well over 95%) are users that frequently remove their sd cards and access that data through means that end up resulting in loss of data..... I only know of about 3 people that CLAIM to have never touched the sd card that have ended up with corruption or even an unformatable drive.. which falls within reasonable failure rates.. pretty good actually... but it's still incredible the rate of failure that coincides with those that remove the sd card to access the data VS using a supplied universal cable.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Judas, I never do remove the SD card from the phone. Never. Unless there's an instance like this one where, as I stated, it appears a Security Update corrupted the card. The only reason that even is mentioned is that I had a Security Update notification on the phone at the same time I noticed that some of the apps I'd moved to the SD card were no longer available. Then, I got other messages telling me there was no card in the phone. I had other SD cards available and put one in the phone while I am trying to find my recovery disk. We moved recently and it's got to be somewhere here in a box that I've not been able to locate as yet.

But, no, I don't see any reason to remove the SD card from a phone rather than use the USB connection for getting any photos and such from the phone or do do back ups.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ok.. just curious.... because it's seems to be an overly abundant thing people appear to be doing which strikes me as bizarre.

If you can't recover the files.. which could potentially be.. and you can't seem to format it... you'll need to use diskpart to wipe the sdcard completely clean

6. GeertSimpkins

GeertSimpkins New Member

Try with this Data Recovery, it enables you to recover lost photos from memory card.

http://t.co/IRVeusio2J

7. Sauck freedom

Sauck freedom New Member

I have written a blog for this kind of situation. I don't quite understand from what you are saying. you said you formatted your drive ? but it went AWOL? I am sorry, but you got me confused. I sure the article's content is similar to you situation. Hope can help.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015