Recover xlsx file damaged

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by sofiavortan, Aug 25, 2015.

1. sofiavortan

sofiavortan New Member

Hi,

Im wondering if somebody could help me into how i can open an excel file that when i try to open it i get the following message: "Excel could not open the file "X" because the format or the extention is not valid. Check that the file has not been damaged and that the extention coincides with the format of the file".

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It might not be an Excel Spreadsheet; it may be that someone had changed the file extension.
    A free tool like checkfiletype.com should verify.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm going to scare the s**t out of you with this one. Thing is that the question you asked is exactly the question my client asked me before the s**t hit the fan.

Are you having trouble with any other files/file types? Word, Excel, PDF, picture, music, movies.. any other files? Do you get a similar error message with them? And if so, is there, in any of your folders, files with the name HELP_DECRYPT, or similar? Because if you do... you're screwed.

I just got through a nightmare with a client who got infected a trojan called Cryptowall, a form of ransomeware (other names it goes by are Crytoplocker, PClock.. there's a couple others). This SOB makes copies of all your files, even ones on network shares (even OneDrive and Dropbox is vunerable), encrypts the copies with AES-256bit encryption (the way it does it is actually kind of cool), deletes Windows' shadow copies, deletes the originals, and then renames the copies with the originals name. The only way to get them decrypted is to pay the ransom.. in Bitcoins, no less. I'll tell you this right now, there is NO WAY to recover from this. Even if you pay there is no guarantee that you'll get ALL of your files back. It's one nasty POS.

4. drynalexandr

drynalexandr New Member