redocneXk released - Realtime 5.1 ac3 Encoder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tril, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Thank you for this report. Does it use more % when you use the normal exe (not SSE, not SSE2)?

You have a very fast processor so the encoding latency must be very low since it encodes fast. How much is the latency noticeable?

I don't know. In the mixer, you can only choose one spdif ouput destination. It's probably a limitation of the drivers or of the sound card. From your tests, were you able to make an spdif ouput other than spdif0 work (alone, not two at the same time)?

2. radiocolonel.it

radiocolonel.it New Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yup works fine now in FF - left clicks for everyone.. :)

4. CRFX

CRFX New Member

I didn't see any noticable differance in cpu usages between sse and non sse.
    Latency isn't a problem (at least on my comp) when playing fps games like halflife2 when using 8ms in the asio control panel. At 32ms there is a noticable lag in sounds.
    I also tried changing the spdif passthogh to 1 and 2 but had no output anywhere, so I asume its limeted to that one output.
    Is there anyway to select where the ac3 gets outputed to?

Plan on using 2 recievers to bi amp my 5 home theatre speakers:cool:
    heh, having 3 would give 15 channels of output.

5. Tril

That's what I thought would happen. The encoding is not compiled using SSE. It's all the code around it that is compiled using SSE and it probably does not do much and it's done by using the SSE option in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 (not coded by hand).

I have no idea.

6. Tril

I created two test versions of redocneXk to try to get SPDIF 1 and SPDIF 2 working. I have absolutely no idea if the changes I made will get it working. Try them and report.

Test1 should work with SPDIF 1 and Test2 should work with SPDIF 2.
    I have not included the avcodec.dll file. Use the one from redocneXk_v1.01.

Link here

7. Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry New Member

this spdif passthru on kx3538i..can be done on sb0220? sblive 5.1 with digital out gd580..
    emu10k1 processor?

cause when did spdif passthru my decoder's dolby light blink on and off.
    with offcial Creative...dunno why they gave up sblive series.for develop driver.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not think that AC3 passthru is officially enabled/working for emu10k1 based cards as of yet, but I cannot be sure (but all the info that I have seen seems to indicate this).

Searching the forum, I see that some testing was done back with kX 3533, but I am not sure what become of that (maybe not enough people did the necessary testing), and I am not sure if anything has changed with new kX versions. You can read about that in the following thread: http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=15526

9. jagjonas

jagjonas New Member

thanks for answering. Got the sinus-waveout hearable using asio0-5. you could hear it on both analog and digital outs. (Using "-r 1" the sound got "skipy" or what to call it).

A box saying "Ac3 - Passthru" was displayed when starting the dos-application.

When watching a dvd with surround all I get from my speakers is either only the front l/r-channels (surround but with center/rear/sub deleted) and with a hearable echo. When using analog-out I get all 6-channels but with echo. This using PowerDVD set to 6channels in settings.

Mixer settings in order left->right: "Toggle SPDIF-In AC-3 Decode-Mode" Off; Ac3-passthru Off; SPDIF-Res: 48k; By-pass SPDIF off;

redocneXk version 1.01
    The avcodec library is licensed under the LGPL. See the included lgpl.txt file
    for a copy of the LGPL license.
    ASIO Interface Technology by Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

*** Settings ***
    Driver = 1 (kX ASIO)
    Bitrate = 640000
    FL = asio0
    FR = asio1
    SL = asio2
    SR = asio3
    C = asio4
    LFE = asio5
    Renderer = 0
    *** Information ***
    asioVersion: 0
    driverVersion: 3537
    Name: kX ASIO SB0350 10k2 [a400]
    ErrorMessage: No ASIO Driver Error
    ASIOGetChannels (inputs: 16, outputs: 16);
    ASIOGetBufferSize (min: 1024, max: 1024, preferred: 1024, granularity: 0);
    ASIOGetSampleRate (sampleRate: 48000.000000);
    ASIOOutputReady(); - Not supported
    ASIOGetLatencies (input: 1024, output: 1024);
    *** Status ***
    ASIO Driver started successfully.
    Press Q to quit.

Edit: No Ac3-light on receiver at any time.

10. Tril

jagjonas, "AC3 passthru" in the mixer needs to be set to SPDIF 0 (or maybe SPDIF 1) to send the AC3 stream unmodified to the receiver. If it's set to off, it's normal to hear echo and the AC3 light on the receiver won't light up.

When you tried the sine wave, if passthru was off, you probably heard it with the digital ouput because Surrounder was connected to the SPDIF oupput on epilog. It was not AC3 but it was digital stereo.

For better performance, open the ASIO Control Panel and set the Format to "16 bit / 48 kHz [8+8]". This will make ASIO use only 8 inputs and outputs instead of 16 inputs and 16 outputs. This does not have anything to do with your problem and if you need more than 8 inputs and 8 outputs because you use ASIO for something else, ignore this recommendation. On my computer, ASIO skips less when set to [8+8] than when set to [16+16].

11. Tril

I found out how to compile avcodec for different processors. I need to use the "--tune=" switch when running configure. It is currently compiled using generic.

The choices are :
    i386
    i486
    i586
    i686
    pentium
    pentiumpro
    pentium-mmx
    pentium2
    pentium3
    pentium4
    prescott
    k6
    k6-2
    k6-3
    athlon
    athlon-tbird
    athlon-4
    athlon-mp
    athlon-xp
    winchip-c6
    winchip2
    c3
    nocona
    athlon64
    k8
    opteron
    athlon-fx

I can't possibly recompile and host all those because it's not necessary and it would take a lot of disk space. I need to choose a small number of them.

I plan on compiling a few of these and ask radiocolonel.it to host them. That way, you will be able to replace the generic "avcodec.dll" with one optimised for your processor.

I will recopile for a given cpu on demand. Reply to this thread and say for which cpu you want the code to be generated and I will recompile the dll for you.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

So - does this mean the current SSE/SSE2 versions are not actually implementing the SSE/SSE opcodes?

OR

will this further 'optimize' for the particular processor?

13. Tril

In the current version, the SSE/SSE2 executables use SSE/SSE2 on the code around the encoding process. The encoding is done by avcodec.dll and this does not use SSE/SE2.

By changing to a dll compiled for a given CPU, the dll code will be generated for that given CPU. It will probably use SSE, SSE2 where it can be used.

14. radiocolonel.it

radiocolonel.it New Member

15. Yakuza696

Yakuza696 New Member

I have an A64, it's the optimization mentioned useful for a 32bit system with A64 processor?

Instead I'll go for an SSE2/3 compile :)

Tnx a lot :D

16. Yakuza696

Yakuza696 New Member

Ok all works great so far, but i was wondering: what happens if i play a pre encoded ac3 stream with redocnexk enabled?

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Think about it for a sec. If you have AC3 passthru enabled, than it is going to bypass the DSP, and thus bypass redocnexk. If you do not have AC3 passthru enabled, then it will be decoded by kX, and then get re-encoded by redocnexk, and you will probably end up with an echo.

18. Yakuza696

Yakuza696 New Member

Sure it's enabled, but it doesn't work as you say, ffdshow or powerdvd could not see the spdif if redocnexk is running, i'm now trying to use my onboard realtek for ac3 pre-encoded streams (it seems to work for powerdvd).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying (a language issue I think). What are you trying to do?

20. Yakuza696

Yakuza696 New Member

I just edited my post, there was a terrible english in it lol
    Anyway what I say is that with redocnexk running i can't play ac3 pre-encoded streams (avi+ac3 or dvd movies) directly to my spdif.

At the moment i solved the thing installing ac3filter and setting it in 6 channels mode and in this way avi-ac3 movies are played very well. I did a similar thing in powerdvd, enabling 6 channels mode with no post processing audio effects.