redocneXk released - Realtime 5.1 ac3 Encoder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tril, Nov 17, 2005.

1. setite

setite New Member

thank you... i will clean of CL and install the 3538i... where can i find info on this release......

2. setite

setite New Member

omfg it works... it was SOOOOO simple... that driver did the trick... 3538i has the surrounder+ instead of surrounder... i only dragged the first speaker to the asio0 and the rest worked automatically... im getting 6% avg pc usage on an amd64 3400+ true mobile oc'd to 2.75... with mp3s via winamp.... im gonna test 5.1 gaming in a second... but for anyone reading this having my problem... its in the driver version... and perhaps the cleaning drivers as well... ah well.... Tril, will you marry me ? :) cheers and kudos for this blessed invention...

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I am glad it worked for you. For info on the 3538i release, you should read the '3538i is out' thread, which is a sticky thread at the top of this forum, and the '3538i bug reports' thread, which is a sticky thread at the top of the 'Bug Reports' forum.

4. bobo1on1

bobo1on1 New Member

Can this very very good and usefull software be set up to pass the ac3 stream to the spdif output from another soundcard or is it limited to the spdif output of the creative soundcard?

5. ParaLMo

ParaLMo New Member

KXEncoder and S/PDIF 0 / 1 /2

Hi Trill,

I'm trying KX drivers and your encoding tool with an audigy 4 (SB0610)

there are 3 different S/PDIF outs, contained within an external 3,5mm Plug.

I have an adapter cable, whic is able to use every of these.

As an answer to your question, if the modified versions, for the other S/PDIF out work, i can say, that always the same S/PDIF is active, regardless which version I try.

And I've got the problem, that the output always just is AC3 2.0 :tears:

Is it a problem, with the ASIO driver?

I discovered, that the asio0-5 Pins in the DSP are useless, the 2.0 is still there, even if I disconnect these 5 Pins.
    What I'm hearing is always just the same 2.0 sound.
    After connecting some PeakVUs to the lines between Surrounder an epilog i saw that there indeed is Sound on every line, but for some reason the AC3 is 2.0.

Im wondering, what the epilog_k1 and epilog_k2 are, too.
    Is this in some kind connected with any regadrd to the S/PDIF?

It's so sad, I was so glad to have found the only working Realtime AC3 Encoder, but ist isn't working for me. :sigh:

I tried to follow your instructions by taking a look at the screenshots you provided,but I couldn't copy the settings exactly, because of the two red-marked buttons in the mixer, the upper one just doesn't exist.

Also I saw, that within any application, there's no S/PDIF out selectable, just 5.1 - is this behaviour normal, or shouldn't there be a S/PDIF option (in VLC for example)?

What is the problem, what can I do?

Help!

Please help me!

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You are either doing something wrong or (maybe?) your card is not fully supported by kX. You should not be getting any sound without the ASIO pins connected. It sounds like passthru is not activated, and thus the signal is just being output in normal digital mode, and thus why it is only 2.0.

Have you verified that AC3 passthru works for you at all?
    You said that using a special cable allows you to use any of the SPDIF's, does that include using AC3 passthru (i.e. tested with another program like VLC)? If it works that way without redocneXk, then it should work the same way with it (i.e. it does not care which output you use, as that is handled by kX).

Try downloading the 48 kHz version of the 'Diatonis Structure of Ambient Life' ac3 file (diatonis-soal_ac3-48k.zip) from here: http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html

Try playing it using AC3 passthru and see if it works (and see if it works with all of the SPDIF outputs as well). (You should not see the AC3 Decode popup in the systray when using passthru mode, if you do, then passthru is not working.)

7. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Do as Russ says. Test passthru with something else first like a DVD or the file Russ suggested.

Currently, only the first SPDIF out works. It's a problem with redocneXk or the kX drivers. The test versions I posted probably don't work because redocneXk is not doing the correct thing to direct the audio to the other outputs or the kX drivers don't support it because it's a feature that is usually never used with other software or it's some other unknown (by me) reason.

Looking at the AUD_EXT pinout, there are four spdif ouputs that exist.
    SPDIF0
    SPDIF1
    SPDIF2
    SPDIF3

In the help of the drivers, it says :
    spdifo0 : digital front; generic SPDIF output
    spdifo1 : front&rear mix (headphones?) or digital center/sub(?)
    spdifo2 : digital center/subwoofer or front\rear mix/phones (?)
    spdifo3 : digital rear

Can ParaLMo or someone else tell me from their experience if AC3 passthru work with SPDIF 1, 2 or 3? Does it only work with SPDIF 0?

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It may work with the other SPDIF outputs, but would likley require a custom cable (i.e. a cable the takes the signal from the inner rings, and outputs it to the tip, etc). Just something to consider for anyone that tries it out unsuccessfully, without using a custom cable.

9. bobo1on1

bobo1on1 New Member

Could an option be added to select the device where you want the ac3 stream to go to? At the moment the default device is selected so if you want the ac3 stream to be sent to another card you have to change the default soundcard in windows, start redocneXk and change the default soundcard back again.
    This might be usefull for people who do not have a soundcard that supports ac3 passthrough, they can buy a cheap soundcard or use their onboard sound.

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

AC3 passthru would still be required. Additionally, you still need low latency ASIO drivers.

11. bobo1on1

bobo1on1 New Member

Yes but lets say someone has a sblive 5.1, ac3 passthrough is currently not supported on that card, one could still use the asio outputs and send the ac3 stream out another soundcard that does support ac3 passthrough.
    Since directsound is used for ac3 this should be no problem at all.

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

IIRC: soundstorm capalbe nVidia boards would work with is

13. ParaLMo

ParaLMo New Member

@Trill & Russ

Ok,

sorry that I forgot to mention the special thing, that without redocneXk, there's no S/PDIF output at all, using the kx driver!

So, of course, there's no Passthru on any of the S/PDIFs, but with Creative drivers it works fine.

(I tried every S/PDIF Port and every S/PDIF Setting in the kx Mixer!)
    After starting redocneXk the AC3-Passthru Logo appears, at bottom right of the screen, and I have AC3 2.0 at one of the S/PDIFs.

(Don't know the S/PDIF'S correct number, because it's allway active, and no setting can change the active S/PDIF out, neither the version of redocneXk, nor the S/PDIF0-2 Setting in kX's Mixer)

Yes, the Audigy 4 (nonpro) card is a real cheap bitch, it only offers S/PDIF 0, S/PDIF 1and S/PDIF 2, there's no S/PDIF , and there's NO AUD_EXT at all, there's no S/PDIF onboard, there's just a 4 contact jack at the rear plate, containing this 3 S/PDIFs.

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

What AC3 logo do you mean? Do you mean on your receiver? It definitely sounds like there is some issue with kX and your card (or maybe your receiver), but I cannot be sure. Did you see the AC3 decode popup message from kX (you should not have when using AC3 passthru)?

You should perform some extensive testing to try and determine what is and isn't working.
    i.e.
    With kX AC3 passthru off, try playing normal sounds and see if you hear them (on the digital out).

Play some AC3 source (again not using redocneXk), with kX AC3 passthru off (software should be set to use SPDIF so that it does not decode it.). kX should decode it, and you should hear the front channels on the digital output. If you have analog speakers (or headphones), you could connect them to the analog outputs, and you should hear the individual channels.

Set kX AC3 passthru to SPDIF 0, and play the AC3 source (again, not using redocneXk, and using the same setting in the software as before), and this time you should get an AC3 signal at your receiver, and hear all 6 channels.

Try to note if/when you see the AC3 decode popup message from kX during your testing.

<edit>
    I did not know that there was also an AC3 Pass-thru popup message from kX, as it is currently not supported for my card, but I did mange to see it when playing around with some of the AC3 passthru plugins, so I am guessing that is what you were talking about.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I figured that is what you meant, but it wasn't clear in your previous message. I agree that could/would be useful, but I am not sure what issues there might be with adding that option to redocneXk (i.e. I am not sure if/how the sample rate comes into play here), so we will have wait to see what Tril says about it.

16. Tril

It can be easily done. WaveOut (or DirectSound) is used. A different device needs to be chosen when opening the audio output device for playback. It's that simple. I can add (and I'll do it as soon as possible) another switch to choose the ouput device.

bobo1on1, it's your suggestion. Do you need it?

17. bobo1on1

bobo1on1 New Member

Personally I don't need it anymore since I'll be receiving a second hand audigy within a day or so.

But people with a sblive still need it if they want 5.1 over spdif, and it should be relatively easy to add.

18. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I was thinking maybe if redocne used same SPDIF port as what set in mixer for AC3 passthru (for the device selected WITH redocne) - I guess this makes sense to me for easy 'setup'. Id think most will use same port as the AC3 passthru??

or a command line switch - for future-proof compatability.. ??

For instance a switch could be added:
    -0x62 (if I have an audigy)
    -0x23 (if I have a Live)

Then if those address' change for some reason (ie re-mapped by driver, if thats even a remote chance??) - no redocne code changes would be needed. No need to detect the card model either. But probably more confusing/complicated to setup.

Im not sure if the info in the IO assignments are driver or hardware.

Just babbling suggestions/points of view.

19. bobo1on1

bobo1on1 New Member

I have now received my second hand audigy, my Onkyo receiver is still connected to the spdif out of my onboard soundmax since the spdif cable I made has a cinch connector at each end, I have to make a jack -> cinch cable.

So I set the default soundcard in windows to my soundmax, started redocneXk, set the default soundcard back to my audigy and guess what, works great!

20. Tril

New version released. See the link in the first post.

Changelog
    ----------
    version 1.02
    - Slight modification to the DirectSound code.
    - Changed an incorrect error message.
    - Added the -o switch.
    - Decided not to compile and not provide SSE/SSE2 executables because they are not faster. That's because only the main program and not the encoder was compiled using SSE/SSE2 optimizations.
    I added what bobo1on1 suggested. You can now choose to which audio device you send the encoded audio.