redocneXk released - Realtime 5.1 ac3 Encoder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tril, Nov 17, 2005.

1. fl00d

fl00d New Member

hmmm when I try to run this program a popup appears making some reference to an adobe sound driver running in half duplex mode, and then it crashes. I don't understand - I followed all the instructions properly, with the exception of using surrounder+ as when its double clicked, the window that opens has no buttons or sliders. (I've resorted to using just 'surrounder' that seems to work.)

One other thing; I can access the asio control panel in an app like cubase, but when referred to in instructions here, how is it accessed?

Cheers for any solutions forthcoming...

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

You need to specify the correct output device with a command line switch.

The adobe is default because (I assume) its alphabetically first in the list of available ASIO devices. - look at the redocne readme on what switch to use - I looked and the '-d' is used to select the output device.

Edited:

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Right click in kxmixer, or from the kx icon in the system tray, and choose: 'Settings' -> 'Asio Control Panel'

4. fl00d

fl00d New Member

command line switch?
    I see the references in the read me, but not how to implement them.

How do I determine what device number the kX asio driver is?

(btw, thanks russ, got it.)

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@Tril,
    Where is version 1.02?
    The link in the first post is still version 1.01.

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok - make a shortcut to redocne - then edit that shortcut properties...
    in the 'TARGET' add - after the quotes - a '-d X'.

the X = the ASIO device

for me X = 3 - so on my system the KX ASIO device is the 4th ASIO device (count 0-3 = 4 counts)

So on my system:
    "C:\redocneXk_v1.01\redocneXk.exe" -d 3

Uses KX ASIO as the device

It seems to me theres an easy way to see all the avalable devices on your system - but I cant remember where I seen it.

I just tried 1 then 2 then 3 - and seen in redocne screen that KX ASIO was selected and DIDNT crash.

@Trill:

I just noticed - with 3538J (and the latest redocne) I NOW get a 'AC3 DECODE' popup if AC3 passthru is turned off - otherwise 'AC3 Pssthru' pops up.

Previously neither ever popped up before.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO should show all the ASIO devices. I have only kX ASIO installed so I am not sure how it would look with multiple ASIO drivers, but I would guess that they would be listed in the device order (i.e. first one would be device 0, etc).

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Did you have "On Screen Display enabled" (under kX settings) unchecked before?

9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Hmm - on mine

NO KEY says KX there - KX IS mentioned as device under Premeire Elements key.
    So I dont think that this is a reliable way...

My memory is of a DOS/Command Prompt box showing them.
    For some reason - I thought redocne would show a list if no device was selected - or a switch would show the list - or something like that. Im 99% certain it was shown in a dos box somehow...

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I have always had all that stuff enebaled/checked - as I have a MM keyboard also and thats #2 of KX settings changes I make. (after adding a GM SF)

Im pretty certain I have those settings the same as before - I like seeing the notifications - as I used headphones to auto-mute speakers also. Remote IR enabled - KX Splash OFF.

Oh - now Im 100%

My guitar processor is SPDIF and I always (well, there were 1 or 2 times it didnt) seen that notification - and if 1 was on - they all were.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmm, that is strange, I am pretty sure that they should all be listed there (i.e. a subkey of that key) in alphabetical order.

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

OOpps - wrong one..

BUT - its still not reliable -

1) KX ASIO is listed 8 times
    2) the 3rd one in that list is NOT KX...

(That key is too big to post )

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Like I said I have only KX ASIO installed, so mine is failry clean. The only ones that are valid would be ones that have a valid CLSID (you will notice that the extra kX entries do not have a CLSID or Description). If kX is device #3 for you, I would guess that it would be the 4th one (but maybe not). That is generally how software would enumerate the ASIO drivers (although it might be wrapped up into a nice little function call, the function just enumerates the registry keys).

14. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

radiocolonel.it is hosting redocneXk. He told me he uploaded version 1.02 but he must have made a mistake somewhere. I'll contact him and he'll fix it.

15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ahh - ok - but others like me who didnt run driver cleaner will probably have multiple KX ASIO entries.. - and YES - it IS the 4th one in the list WITH a CLSID set.

I wish I could remember how I seen the list of devices that are valid... - before, its how I discovered which device to use.

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, just thought I should let you know that it wasn't there.

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I would guess that any ASIO host software would show them all (and probably in order).

18. fl00d

fl00d New Member

Maddog, thanks for the 'how to'; I am now making some progress.

Everything is working now, except I have the rapid stuttering problem described by a couple of people earlier in this thread.
    The AC3 5.1 signal is being recognised by my reciever, but it too flickers in sync with the choppy sound.

I got the same symptom with kX driver 35 37, but updated to ensure I was on the same page as you guys. Unfortunately, under 35 38i, the problem is even more pronounced, and for all my fiddling with latencies in the asio control panel, testing basic setups with wave generator to the ASIO inputs on epilogue, I still have the same problem.

If I quit the redocnexk_v1.01 driver, sound still works, however now its accompanied with a buzzing sound.

Also worth mentioning, is that under 35 38i, cubase now crashes when it comes to initializing kX ASIO as part of booting up. So Im assuming theres an issue with the ASIO driver included with 35 38i.

35 37 drivers were removed properly with driver cleaner.

I have an Audigy platinum and am connecting to my 5.1 reciever via an optic connecter (same as spdif right..? just different cable?)

I'm almost ready to give up for the time being :(

19. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes - optical on frontpanel is SPDIF - just a different cable.

Sorry - I cant help with sputtering/buzzing

Other than maybe try different modes on the unit your sending SPDIF to..

Some may have sample rate settings - or DTS or what ever...

Also, you may want to try different SYNC METHODS in the KX ASIO control panel.

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Try setting the latency to like 16 ms, and the format to 16 Bit /48 kHz [8+8]. If that works good then try lower latencies.