refurbished cards

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Son_of_Thunder, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Son_of_Thunder

Son_of_Thunder New Member

refurbished cards *new question inside*

stay away from them like hellfire? or are the OK to buy (from newegg that is)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  2. Daishi

Daishi Xtreme G Author

well um... newegg guarantees that they will work but i wouldnt buy them anyway i like to buy new things.

3. phongtruong12

phongtruong12 New Member

it all depends on how often you upgrade. sometimes buying used will save you alot of money, and you still get to return the card if it becomes defective.

4. Son_of_Thunder

yah that's what i figured, getting a 9800pro for 160 dollars would save me a lot of money. i was going to get the x800pro from best buy, but i picked up the box and it felt awefully light. turns out they had four empty boxes representing that you could order them off the net:rolleyes:

so i don't know what i'm going to do now. i would like to get a x800 from a local store than an online place simply because of how much it costs. if i have a problem w/ it i want it fixed now instead of doing a RMA.
    so i may purchase a 9800pro refurbished w/ my own money, that way i can save my mom's gift for something else.

5. Son_of_Thunder

ok, is there a difference in cooling quality between the two types of heatsinks on sapphire cards?

one is like a box, the other looks like a regular heatsink.

they are both 256bit cards, does that mean that one is older and has the r350 instead of the r360?

also, is the vga silencer worth getting for a refurbished card? i know that the sapphire that has the more box-like heatsink is known to easily overheat. the price of both of them together would range about 198.98USD, or i could get the MSI 9800pro for 195.95USD brand new...and that one has that beast of a heatsink and fan to start w/. plus all of them are r360's why hynx memory.

what do you recommend?

--edit--

another option, get the HIS IceQ for 187USD

6. inet

inet New Member

The round heatsink from Sapphire does a better job of cooling from whta I've heard. The box one is ATI standard. However, neither of them are suitable for heavy overclocking.

It's a midend card now - I think paying for a vga silencer is rather pointless as card is slow compared to the newest generation. Overclocking wont ever fix that. Maybe better to save your money for down the road for a 6800 or x800.

7. RDoggy

RDoggy New Member

I bought a refurbished ti4200 for $68.00. From newegg Great little card still running strong after 1 year. newegg rocks.