Reinstall or Leave Alone

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by drwho, Sep 26, 2015.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

I've decided to upgrade my gpu in my computer from a Radeon HD 7950 to a Radeon R9 380. As I'm using Win 10, I'm wondering what would be the best way to install the 15.7 drivers from AMD. I already have the 15.7 installed on my computer, so would just uninstalling the old gpu and installing the new one be enough, or would uninstalling the 15.7 first and then reinstalling the 15.7 after I've swapped out the gpus be best.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

From experience (upgrading from a 6950 to a 7950), just swapping the cards should be fine. I'd turn Overdrive off in case it's on, otherwise the driver will set the new card to run at the old card's clocks (or at least that used to be the case), but otherwise just swapping the cards should be fine.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Appreciate the input........that is what I'll do. ;)

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

Just wanted to stop and say thanks, IvanV. Your advice was spot on. :)

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm glad the upgrade went well. :)

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

best way to do it using same drivers.. is go into device manager.... select the card.. uninstall it.. and make sure NOT to check the "remove driver"..... shut down.. install new card... fire up.. let it detect and you're running

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Just out of curiosity, why would you NOT check the "remove drivers" box?

8. Judas

Because you don't need to... it's a unified driver.. all you're needing to do is remove the card... the driver doesn't need to be removed, as once the new card is installed, the pre-existing catalyst control center and drivers will detect the new card, and install straight away. The only reason one would select to remove the driver when uninstalling a video graphics driver is if you also removed the entire software package prior to making this last move, explicitly if you're moving from one brand or major generational card, to another.

For example... If the user was moving from ATI/AMD to Nvidia... then obviously yes.

Example 2 would be if moving from a HD4xxx or older gpu which use a vastly older driver package, then yes.

Otherwise... staying within the same unified driver package, or in this case, even staying with EXACTLY the same driver package.... would only require (and with windows vista onward isn't necessarily required actually) is to uninstall the card from the device manager just to keep things neat and tidy, shut down and plug in the card... fire up and let the package do it's work.

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Judas, I totally understand that it's NOT NECESSARY to uninstall the unified drivers when doing a card change. My curiosity was peaked when your wording was such that it appeared that, if one were to do so, it would cause dastardly consequences. That's simply not so. I would say that there really is NO HARM in doing so if one is changing cards...whether or not it's within the same family of cards or not. In fact, I would go so far as to say it would actually be a greater benefit and help avoid any unsuspected bad consequences to actually do the uninstall of drivers in order to make sure one got a truly "clean" installation of the correct drivers. But, then, that's just me. And, it's been my practice since as far back as I can recall doing so many card upgrades.

10. Judas

The only harm is the fact that if you uninstall the driver... without uninstalling the catalyst control center and associated things... then windows 8.x and 10 will proceed to install the buggy ccc v1.000000 which makes for installing the latest catalyst problematic or it will install but conflict.

If you do uninstall the drivers and ccc... it's best to make sure you downloaded the latest drivers and then DISCONNECT from the internet prior to removing the drivers and software, shutting down, and replacing the card.