Removed nforce chipset bad idea?

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by MikeW88, Jan 2, 2011.

1. MikeW88

MikeW88 New Member

I'm using a Dell Vostro 1310 notebook and got a lot of BSODs which I believed to be caused by my video drivers. I decided to remove all the nvidia related files plus the nforce chipset to be thorough.

Are the nforce chipset files really important? My notebook did not come with nforce drivers to my knowledge and the Dell driver page does not list it either. My notebook has been functioning normally so far...

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

As long as you aren't missing some necessary feature, the Windows default drivers may cover the functionality well enough. nForce chipset drivers have been the cause of quite a few problems as well. If you play any games on it you could try installing the graphics driver separately.

3. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Are you sure there is an nforce chipset in the notebook? if so and dell doesn't list them then the default windows drivers are used and shouldn't be a problem.

4. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

I'm looking at Dell's site and the Vostro 1310 has an Intel chipset, the 965PM or the GM965. The 965PM can be configured with an nVidia 8400M GS GPU.

From where exactly have you removed the files? You do not have an nForce chipset.

5. MikeW88

MikeW88 New Member

I scanned for nforce chipset files using driver cleaner not knowing if it was installed at all. Driver cleaner found several files which I assumed were related to the nforce chipset.

If my notebook doesn't come with nforce chipset drivers installed, I don't know why driver cleaner found nforce chipset files.

6. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

Well windows does include drivers for certain components even if they are not installed. Also if you have the 8400 then some of the driver files for that card might be shared with the nForce driverset.

So if you do have the 8400, I think you should remove the drivers for it too, then do a fresh install because it needs them (gaming, video playback, flash).

Other then that, if you do not actually have the 8400, but you're notebook is configured with the GM965 chipset (integrated graphics) then there is no need to worry about the files you removed, they were not actually in use. In that case the BSOD was caused by something else.